1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone used Cargill...

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Midstate Lawncare, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone used compost from cargill meat solutions in Beardstown, IL?
    If you have, what do you think?

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

meat company? I bet it's got some N...

3. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

midstate,

do they have a website? little more info would be useful..
    never heard of meat compost before....i seen meat meal based ferts but not compost

4. marquis de sod

marquis de sod LawnSite Member

I have not used it personally yet but have it from reliable sources that it is good quality and they can provide analysis results. I believe the pricing was $30 a ton. I don't know what that would translate into for cubic yards.

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

good stuff, I have never used it myself, but have worked with an lco that says its great, a little hot in the N side but makes great grass. and the have a test sample report that is 6 pages, and current. its not only meat its all things used or recycled.

6. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have been mowing their beardstown facility for two years now, (i work part-time for another lco who has the mowing contract) and they (cargill) use it alot around their facility. They used it in a crabapple tree hole when they planted it in june... it threw flowers in octber... wow a confused tree!(I'll try to post pics) I have just never read anything from anyone who has used it in "organic lawn care". Thank you for you replies, and I look forward to more. I will keep you posted on anything I find out.