1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Has the Corona Virus affected your business?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by AMPLighting, Mar 15, 2020.

?

Is the Corona Virus affecting your business?

Poll closed Sunday at 10:16 AM.
  1. Yes, I have seen a decline in business (customers)

6.3%
  2. Yes, it has affected availability of products (suppliers)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, it has affected my work force (employees)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No it has not affected my business

12.5%
  5. Too early to tell

68.8%
  6. My biggest concern is the economy/recession

31.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AMPLighting

AMPLighting Sponsor

DO you think the virus will affect your business, the green industry, or the landscape lighting industry?

If so what are you seeing?

What are you expecting?

2. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

I have had two proposal meetings cancelled in the last week mainly due to people becoming unsettled last week when the market made a big turn. I haven't had anyone pull off the books yet, but im sure in time it will happen.

I know personally we had planned to buy new furniture for the living room and master bedroom, but put that on hold until the panic settles down a little bit. Think it goes without saying, it's going to slow down call volume and demand until market volatility steadies and we start seeing a positive turn with the virus and people get out of the hunker down mentality.

hort101 and Mike M like this.
  3. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Silver Member
    from usa

We'll see what happens.

Just my two cents, I'm not certain of a "v" recovery. I think there has been a significant crisis brewing in credit, and this virus may be a deathblow. I could be wrong, but I held off getting a new vehicle and I have been learning how to do truck repairs watching youtube videos :D

I have upped my efforts for my service business.

hort101 likes this.
  4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Fed dropped the rates to O
    Might look into refinancing your home...

more workers will be available , restaurants , hotels, movie theaters shutting down

I’m also wondering about visa workers most of which start coming in April
    1) will they let them in?
    2) a lot of h2b work in hospitality, will they even need or want them?

hort101 and Mdirrigation like this.
  5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

Since the virus and the stock market drop are closely related , my irrigation installations have all canceled . Still will have service . Now I have 9 months of expenses in the emergency fund so weathering the storm wont be a problem . I have a small network of other trades I work with and we will share some work , if I am slow I may swing a hammer helping them , If I need help they will use a shovel . I went solo 10 years ago so there is no payroll to worry about . I also have rentals for income . This will only be a bump in the road

hort101 likes this.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

How many threads are we going to have on the stupidity surrounding the corona non-pandemic?

7. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

we have multiple threads on this already so I'm closing this one as well...trying to keep track of them all is confusing and repetitive

8. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

ok, I am going to leave this open, for now and let's try to keep those in the lighting business in this thread...again, with multiple threads, it can get confusing so if this turns into the same as all the others then I will close for good

hort101 likes this.
  9. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Silver Member
    from usa

Keeping this specific and relevant to our people so the OP doesn't get his thread censored.

As we saw in the news today, WHO has identified the ability of an airborne spread, as the numbers of people infected by the virus multiplies, what should I say to customers if there is green hue on aiming night?

Also, should I be installing fixtures on the other side of the trees now, so that homeowners can see them from inside their homes?

I have a big order coming up, should I hold out for a COVID50OFF coupon code?

Alan B likes this.
  10. Alan B

Alan B Sponsor
    Male, from tampa, fl

As more people are "sheltering at home" maybe they will be more focused on home up-keep/home improvements/safety/security and increase lighting sales? I predict landscape lighting will get hit less than other industries. We have not seen a down turn in orders, even in the last week because of this.