Has your business plateaued?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JFGLN, Nov 23, 2019.

1. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

2. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Bronze Member

That's hilarious because I just listened to that episode this morning!

We haven't plateued (I can't even spell the darn word haha). We continue to grow each year. Our biggest hurdle is finding enough good employees. I know this is a common issue.

We have some plans to combat this for next season including paying more, offering some additional benefits (more PTO for sure + some other ideas), and potentially doing some flex schedules.

3. OP
    OP
    JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you able to keep employees working thru the winter?

4. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Bronze Member

We could but don't. We don't plow so that's out. I hate snow related work due to the scheduling. I put some of the guys to work "here and there" on house clean outs but that's rare. I own a residential cleaning company as well.

My business partner and I have been considering buying a property or 2 to flip during off seasons. That would help our guys out work wise.

I think alot of guys enjoy going on unemployment, draw there $500 week check, play video games or whatever, and relax for a few months.

5. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

300,000 is where most owners are working 70-80 hrs a week wearing many hats doing everything for the business. At this point either they decide this isn’t my dream and go out of business or take a big pay cut hire people and push on to 500k plus.

Gus McGee and Cam15 like this.
  6. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Pretty common to work those hours and wear those hats up to 1MM in revenue.

7. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

True story never ends

8. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Silver Member

So do you lay them off? My payroll lady and accountant highly discouraged me from doing this. She said my unemployment rate would get high. I’d love to lay off at least 1, maybe 2 but I never understood the process.

9. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

10. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

Someone will correct me I’m sure, but I believe all employers FUTA is fixed at 6% of all employees wages up to 7k each year....on top of that here in Maryland, the state rate ranges from about 1% up to 7.5% on the first 8500 of wages each year...my guys take seasonal unemployment for 10 weeks starting after Christmas. I am in the highest rate each year (currently the 7.5%)

oqueoque and grassmonkey0311 like this.