1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Hats off to you guys

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Ron Coleman, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Ron Coleman

Ron Coleman LawnSite Member

For the past few weeks I've been following the posts on lawn renovation and the information seems to be working.

On September 6, I seeded my front lawn with the Best of The Blues KBG and I have GREEN GRASS starting to pop up today. This past week seems to have been ideal for seed germination, low temps in the 60's and highs about 80.

A little background on the lawn, a heavy infestation of Nimble Will and Creeping bent grass has been slowly taking over the yard for the last 10 years. The lawn is about 1200 sq ft.

In August I NUKED it all with 2 doses of Round Up and after everything was dead I rented a sod cutter and removed all the dead sod.

I added topsoil to change the grade in several areas and added a tile and catch basin to intercept runoff from my neighbor.

I seeded with 3 pounds of The Best of the Blues and mulched it all with Seed Aide. I'm not sure the Seed Aide was necessary but I don't like the mess from straw. The Seed Aide wasn't cheap but the yard has some slope and I wanted to control any erosion and help keep the seed bed moist.

During the past week the whole yard was kept moist and never allowed to dry out.

I was ready for a 2-3 week wait for germination with the bluegrass but it looks like the wait is over.

Ron

2. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

I had similar results. I seeded on 9/7 with KBG, had germination on 9/13. 6 days. Why do they advertise 14-28 days? Must be under average conditions I guess.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Congrats guys

Good luck with the new lawns.