• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Hauled the first heavy load with 450 today

Gravel Rat

LawnSite Fanatic
Went and picked up 3 yards of wet heavy topsoil on the 03 F-450 it is its first heavy load ie over 2000 lbs. I figured I had 7000 to 7500 lbs on the truck and it hauled it fine. The exhaust brake helps and the 6.0 works good I didn't push it but at 2000 rpm I could push on the go pedal even more. My old 7.3 PSD wouldn't have climbed the hills as easy.

I'am definatly going to need to get a dump box I had two other guys to help me shovel off the load. I think the truck will work out well for doing small deliveries on the side.

Scag48

LawnSite Fanatic
Nah, you don't need a box. Keep the flatbed, way more versatile. Just get out yer welder and throw a 12K lb. scissor lift under the bed. Then you have a flatbed when you need it and a dump box with removable sides.

I loved our F450, always had enough grunt to get the job done. I had 5, 1,200 lb. bags of compost on it once, handled it fine except the load was pretty topheavy.

OP
Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat

LawnSite Fanatic
I have been keeping my eye out for a good used flatdeck. I have a hoist already its been sitting in the basement for almost a year :laugh:

I may buy a brandnew flatdeck and put my hoist on it. I was looking at a 11' dump box with fold down sides but that adds alot of extra weight. A flatdeck with wood sides weighs 300-400lbs less.

The deck that is on the truck now needs quite abit of work and its a homemade deck its pretty crude it isn't square or straight.

OP
Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat

LawnSite Fanatic
I think they used the truck for a service truck of some sort because it has custom made crossmembers like a crane was bolted on it. Truck has PTO but the hydraulics have been removed. I assume the company bought a Dodge because I bought the truck from Willowbrook Chrysler in Surrey.

wanabe I have been looking at a contractor body there is a 4 week waiting list for one.