1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Hauling gas for mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn and stump, Apr 24, 2001.

1. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I looking for an alternitive to the 2-3 5gal plastic
    gas jugs I have on each of my trucks. I'm thinking about the
    gas caddy in Northern's catolouge for $350. When we sharpen in the morning we could top off the mowers and then have just 1 can on the truck to get thru the day. I also thought
    about T-ing into the truck fuel line with an electric fuel pump but that might be too slow. Any thoughts?

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

it probably wouldn't be realy safe to T the fuel line as the pressure is pretty high (if you have fuel injection), also in a high performance application those pumps pump about 190 gallons per hour so it wouldn't be too fast either.

3. Joe W.

Joe W. LawnSite Member

How about one of those on board tanks in the back of the truck that heavy equipment operators use with the hand crank pumps. A friend bought one used for $200.00. Have to make sure it's new or clean though as most are used for diesel.

4. MJH9

MJH9 LawnSite Member

Buy an Encore walk behind, they have removable tanks. Take one off put one on in about 30 seconds.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have same problem,DOT approved cans,(steel,are about 95 bucks a piece,then you have to carry current shipping papers-its a PITA,I use plastic cans now,but if you get caught its a 450 dollar fine-per can.I'm thinking about T-ing into the fuel line too.You know its illegal to even transport an empty fuel can in a commercial vehicle(commercial plates).But a minivan,car,or capped pickup with regular plates can carry any amount 5 gallon cans of fuel-and its legal.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have an open trailer with four ft. high sides that has an enclosed (expanded metal)compartment at the front. On top of this cage,I built an open-top cage with six inch high expanded metal sides. In this area I have mounted a 25 gal steel, auxillary gas tank built for use on pickups. It sets about head high overall and I get plenty of flow with just gravity feed. I have an inline gas filter mounted between the tank and the 3/4" fuel hose. This works great and is supposed to be legal, (at least here in Texas). I have a 6 gal tank I am going to mount for mix gas when I get time.
    :)

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I think putting a tee in your truck fuel line is asking for trouble. Think if some one helping you didn't quite shut it off all the way. You'd have a big puddle under your truck. Now lets add in that cigarette break and...you get the picture.

8. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

mowingman I had a simmilar idea with using an auxilary tank.
    I've thought about taking the aux tank on my truck and rig up a pump to it. Just pull up beside and filler up. I like your idea better though. I just hope people don't "mistake" you for a gas station when you are around back. :)