1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hauling question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BCFLawnLandscape, May 27, 2007.

1. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure where to put this question, but does anyone do any type of Hauling? I had a guy call me today wanting me to haul his back hoe from Indiana to Ohio. Wanted to know what the going rate on this is so I can give him a price. ANyone???? That'd be great!!!!! THANKS!

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Shoot, it would probably be cheaper to call a Freight Co., I think some years ago it would've cost me $400 to have a Wb shipped from VA to ID (2400 miles), I just don't foresee how anyone can compete with nationwide trucking co's.

I'm not even sure on the prices, these are a bit ballpark.

No doubt a backhoe would cost more, but I remember a fellow would charge 2-3 grand to ship cars (yes, price per each) across state lines across some considerable distances (again usually 1-2 thousand miles) and he had a 6-car carrier so he could plan his routes to where most of it was covered before he got rolling.

Most freight carriers charge one way, and it's a little higher than 2-way shipping (which is unusual but not totally) but it is the owner-operator who worries about having a return load, for the most part.

See I guess you'd have to charge by the mile, but you'll get up to 6-700 real quick and 1-2 thousand's not far behind, then you have to worry about covering the way back. I'm not so sure if it's a viable alternative seeing how you'd likely be looking at a full ton p/u truck (350 / 3500) and a heavy duty double axle trailer, maybe a gooseneck...

You could, and I might suggest it, check into some freight carrier pricing, maybe do a google.

3. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I knew a guy that had a Lada (russian car) shipped from Nova Scotia to Manitoba for $1100. I think he used the Rail Road.