Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an HOA that wants prodiamine preemergent, 1 app of 15-0-0 and 1 app for broadleaf weeds. Will probably use MSM and a surfactant if I can but possibly might have to use Speedzone southern because their grounds guy thinks there is nothing else and he might watch me, I’m not sure.
Anyway they have 170,000 sq ft.
If y’all don’t mind I’d like to know what you would do this for.

· Registered
2,939 Posts
My price would be whatever would net me a 30% profit margin--minimum. IMHO, walk away from this one. You need to explain that the three apps they want for the year will result in very limited/short-term results. Educate them about this, and they might go for a full annual program, at which point I would then be interested in serving them.

· Registered
1,266 Posts
Same as @Chilehead and @walkinonwater27, you’re being asked to do approx 4 acres, with the distinct possibility of minimal weed control.

for example, here in Oklahoma I do several HOA frontages ( approx 1 acre) anywhere from$235 to $275. So yours would be @ $950. Yeah, they probably think that will be too expensive, that’s just for one round. Bear in mind chem prices are not any cheaper, and as stated, 2 rounds will not give you the desired results, even at max rates. I can see some HOA rep calling to tell you they’re not happy snd still have weeds. Lots of unrealistic expectations! @takervader or @phasthound may have some ideas, but I would either get them on 4 or 5 apps or let someone deal with the headaches.

· Registered
1,113 Posts
I wouldn’t touch a property that only wants 2 visits. Those types usually expect to not see any weeds.
Yep, I'd walk away.

Yes, it could probably be done after several years of strict regimens making the grass pretty easy to take care of, but I wouldn't take this one on if I hadn't known exactly how well it was maintained by this grounds guy.

· Registered
5,485 Posts
I would strongly encourage them to do at least a spring and fall treatment. I’d explain them that 1 fert app will do very little and only last a short time. I would also spray what I thought would be best. If that meant mixing multiple products I’d do it. Sell your knowledge and that may help them make a better choice.

I’m able to maintain a few HOA with 4 apps but I’m upfront and clear that there are no free call backs.

· Super Moderator
19,405 Posts
Do you have the equipment to do the prodiamine and the Speedzone at the same time? Spray once and done--for spring. Saves on labor cost (saves you money and them, too).
Then--refuse the 15-0-0. Do a light rate of 45-0-0--but advise that they need something like a balanced fert--24-0-8 ( with potassium) or something like that. Advise them that a slow-release nitrogen would be better for the turfgrass---because that is what the golf courses use.
Advise them that they need a fall weed control for dandelions and winter annuals like chickweed, henbit and hairy bittercress. Try to have weed pictures as part of your sales presentation.
Take a soil sample and advise them they need a soil test. Do the test yourself at night if they are too cheap to accept a university soil test.
If you have a pH meter check for acid soil on the spot.

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should’ve explained the situation a little better. Sorry guys. I landed the maintenance contract for 3 years. 2200.00 a month with with an increase of what ever the lasts year’s inflation rate was.
PLUS THE APPS. That’s extra. It wasn’t in the maintenance contract. It is on centipede. I have an exmark ride on. The only way I can not do it is walk away from the maintenance contract. For sure I will make it clear with these 3 apps you get what you get and that’s all you get. I was just kinda wondering what y’all would charge to do it.

· Registered
840 Posts
We’ll congrats, sounds like a profitable account then. I wouldn’t give a price without seeing it, depends how difficult the application is. Does it look like a cookie cutter neighborhood? A condo with all tiny lawns in front of the homes? It’s going to be 15 bags minimum is my guess if it’s 170k grass, more with a ton of trim. I’d say it’s going to take you a whole day, add up all your costs and charge for the day. All costs plus 500-600? Depending on ease of application.

· Super Moderator
19,405 Posts
About the fertilizer, 15-0-0?
Too many bags to handle and too much inert (85 percent). Costly--do not pay for 85 percent inerts. Does your soil need potassium?
Centipede experts on this site can advise you on the best formula for centipede.
Every state has a few difficult weeds--these may need special treatments or spot spraying, and that costs a few dollars more. Nutsedge?
And you may need post emergent for crabgrass.

· Registered
8,389 Posts
I should’ve explained the situation a little better. Sorry guys. I landed the maintenance contract for 3 years. 2200.00 a month with with an increase of what ever the lasts year’s inflation rate was.
PLUS THE APPS. That’s extra. It wasn’t in the maintenance contract. It is on centipede. I have an exmark ride on. The only way I can not do it is walk away from the maintenance contract. For sure I will make it clear with these 3 apps you get what you get and that’s all you get. I was just kinda wondering what y’all would charge to do it.
I deal with Centipede a lot. Actually you can do fine with 2 apps of weed control and 1 fertilizer depending, key word depending.

I won't even suggest a price without seeing all the factors first hand. I will say this material cost + time per app + PITA factor = cost

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I won't even suggest a price without seeing all the factors first hand. I will say this material cost + time per app + PITA factor = cost

[/QUOTE]

It’s not an aggravating application. It’s mostly wide open spaces. Only one building the amenities center. I think I will try and convince him to do the pre, do the fert and then 2 apps for broadleaf and anything else will be extra. Such as kilinga or nutsedge whatever.

Kinda been thinking somewhere around $1700.00. That’s as cheap as I am willing to go. If I’m thinking correctly.

· Registered
5,485 Posts
You may be able to apply a fall pre for “free on your dime?” Make up the cost on maintence by just needing to blow sidewalks and pick up a little Dec-Feb?

I know a few times I’d apply Some fall pre on bigger stuff to ease my labor in winter months on mowing side. No need to run mower just clean up a little. Probably cut time in half.

· Registered
117 Posts
I’m a solo fert and squirt side gig only so idk if I can help….. seems your price is low to me. I know you said it’s “extra” so I’m assuming that’s why. I’d say that would cover my 3 spray apps only. Definitely wouldn’t do it for any less than what you quoted here. What would your price be for apps only?( if you didn’t have the contract?) Sure you can take a hit cause you got it all… just make money Sir!

· Registered
141 Posts
It’s not an aggravating application. It’s mostly wide open spaces. Only one building the amenities center. I think I will try and convince him to do the pre, do the fert and then 2 apps for broadleaf and anything else will be extra. Such as kilinga or nutsedge whatever.

Kinda been thinking somewhere around $1700.00. That’s as cheap as I am willing to go. If I’m thinking correctly.
[/QUOTE]
I'm northern turf grass so I know next to nothing about centipede and timing of apps. Again I know very little about centipede but if timing works you could knock all of this out in one app with a ride-on spreader sprayer. Mix up Prodiamine 65WDG and Speedzone Southern in the liquid spray tanks. Add the fert to the hopper and spread and spray at the same time. It sounds like you'll mainly be treating common areas in the HOA which are usually more open and not all broken up so they should go pretty quick. Relatively open 170k is plenty doable in 2-3 hours, maybe 4 if there's a lot of detail and trim work. Going at max rate of Prodiamine at 2.3lbs/acre would only cost about $145 in materials. Running max rate of Speedzone Southern would run about $185 plus a few bucks for whatever surfactant you use. I have no idea what 15-0-0 costs and if they are thinking a liquid or a granular form. At $1700 there is really good money to be made if you can knock it out in one combination treatment.

We do quite a few 1 and 2 app customers. Mainly large HOA's and large residentials. I understand their point of view when they don't want to pay or can't afford 4 or 6 or however many visits when they have multiple acres to maintain. Thoroughly explain what expectations should be and we have honestly never had an issue with it in over 20 years. They mostly just don't want the grass looking completely unmaintained. Adding in a 2nd post emergent app would be pretty beneficial though if they are willing to go that route.

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You may be able to apply a fall pre for “free on your dime?” Make up the cost on maintence by just needing to blow sidewalks and pick up a little Dec-Feb?

I know a few times I’d apply Some fall pre on bigger stuff to ease my labor in winter months on mowing side. No need to run mower just clean up a little. Probably cut time in half.
More than one way to skin a cat.🤣

1 - 19 of 19 Posts