Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
American Profit Recovery been with them for probably 7 years now. Maybe more. It's not instant gratification.... Well sometimes it is when just the notice gets the person to pay the bill. Takes that headache off of my plate. We do a lot before we send anyone to collections. But I get payments from years ago and it's always a nice surprise. When these people that's stiffed us go to buy a house for example, that 50 bucks you still owe us from 5 years ago just shut down your closing. That's funny to me.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
Like 650, but when I scroll through my balances and see this my blood boils, he had a card on file and canceled it so I couldn't charge it, it was for a fall cleanup, it was like 800, and I charged 200. So about 600 was left over, if I do do it I'll have my son youtube it, ill just say I was returning his grass we cut
Why didn't you charge $800?

Also I hear roundup in balloons creates interesting outcomes....

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
American Profit Recovery been with them for probably 7 years now. Maybe more. It's not instant gratification.... Well sometimes it is when just the notice gets the person to pay the bill. Takes that headache off of my plate. We do a lot before we send anyone to collections. But I get payments from years ago and it's always a nice surprise. When these people that's stiffed us go to buy a house for example, that 50 bucks you still owe us from 5 years ago just shut down your closing. That's funny to me.
can you send a bill to collections and have a lien going as well? Customers don't quite understand what a lien is, but they all hate the sound of it.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
And--you can talk to people at the landscapers meeting--you have to give a shot speech anyway, right--so other companies know they have not paid. Make sure every company in town is aware. Post a little notice at your fert dealer's bulletin board--"unpaid mowing bill".
Mail a notice to every company in town. When they realize you have a lot of friends in the biz--and cannot get anyone else to mow their grass...or plow their snow...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have always wondered what it would look like if someone wrote a nice message with roundup veg killer on a lawn. I mean the owner wouldn’t notice something wrong with it for at least a couple of days, right. Then after a week or so…..they would see that message very clearly. But I digress…..

I agree with others, turn it over to collections and/or forget about it and make it up on other jobs. Always good to be the better person and be above reproach…dont sink to another scum’s level.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
And--you can talk to people at the landscapers meeting--you have to give a shot speech anyway, right--so other companies know they have not paid. Make sure every company in town is aware. Post a little notice at your fert dealer's bulletin board--"unpaid mowing bill".
Mail a notice to every company in town. When they realize you have a lot of friends in the biz--and cannot get anyone else to mow their grass...or plow their snow...
Can't us fellow lawn guys have a Facebook page or something for deadbeats?

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
can you send a bill to collections and have a lien going as well? Customers don't quite understand what a lien is, but they all hate the sound of it.
I'm not sure on that. I've never created the lien. But when my collection agency takes over they own the debt. It's no longer mine. If the customer happens to pay me I'm contractually obligated to send the portion 50% to the APR. I just mailed them a 35 buck check today because a long time outstanding payment was paid to my company rather to them. 50% of something better than nothing. They do skip tracing as well. But realize the smaller the bill is the less "personal" they are going to get trying to collect the money... But even on the smaller accounts they keep on them. Then it's on the non payer credit report which is a no go for a home purchase.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
Someone years ago started a website like this. If my memory is correct they were forced to shut it down. You can't post deadbeats for some reason but they can talk all the **** they want about your company. I'll have to try to remember what site that was. It was like a BBB but listed non payers for services all over the country.

·
Premium Member
Ford
3,666 Posts
Someone years ago started a website like this. If my memory is correct they were forced to shut it down. You can't post deadbeats for some reason but they can talk all the **** they want about your company. I'll have to try to remember what site that was. It was like a BBB but listed non payers for services all over the country.
There’s a Facebook group for this on national service companies, it was named after Ferrendino and sons, but they sent a letter to the creator of the page and it got changed, or so I heard…

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
From what I read on the subject, these "blacklists" were considered discrimination because a lot of minorities would be on them. I know there is local Bad Tenant groups on Facebook and there is a list that goes around. If it was kept hush I'm sure it could be done locally on Facebook but the list can't be published anywhere.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I remember that. I was eager to start posting negative reviews about deadbeat ex-customers. Too bad they shut down so quickly. I would love it if another website such as that opened up.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Or you could mow three-quarters of their lawn and leave.
Leave a note saying--your office called and you were not supposed to mow the lawn--and got sent to the next customer.
And if a few dandelions seeds fell off your equipment onto their grass...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have you ever dumped 10 yards of hot steaming wet grass on a customer's car who hasn't paid you? If so, what was the outcome? Did you get your $$ or go to jail?
Just weighing my options
In Virginia it's "theft of services" which is the same as larceny. So you press charges on them if it's under $200 it's a misdemeanor if it's $200+ it's a felony.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I wouldn't want to say that this actually happened but one time a customer decided to deduct $100 from their bill because of "poor service". They paid the rest of what they owed for the year and we made a decision not to renew the account. In the middle of the winter a check for $126 arrives. They paid the final invoice twice. So we deposited the check and waited. Sure enough they found the error and requested a refund. We said they could have the $26 refunded. They sure were angry. They left several angry social media messages about us but this time revenge was sweet and best of all they did it to themselves! Now I'm not saying this actually happened you understand . . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just go down to the courthouse and file a lein on the property, usually for about 40% more than they owe. I've had a couple over the yrs that got all the way to the closing table, think their fixin to get a huge check, only to find out they owe some lawn service 2 grand and can't close their deal. I'll get a call from title company asking if I will settle for less, I know I have wm over a barrel and say F no. They call back an hour later and say my check is ready lol

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just go down to the courthouse and file a lein on the property, usually for about 40% more than they owe. I've had a couple over the yrs that got all the way to the closing table, think their fixin to get a huge check, only to find out they owe some lawn service 2 grand and can't close their deal. I'll get a call from title company asking if I will settle for less, I know I have wm over a barrel and say F no. They call back an hour later and say my check is ready lol
This is your best bet. You may have to wait years to get paid, but a lien that stops them from selling the house will eventually get you the money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is your best bet. You may have to wait years to get paid, but a lien that stops them from selling the house will eventually get you the money.
Small claims court is good too. Middle and upper middle class people don't want to risk damaging their credit rating or worse, having to take a day off to go to court. They will pay immediately once they are served with papers. It won't work with the very wealthy. They have lawyers on retainer to put you in your place. You have to work out a settlement or forget about the matter so that you don't get countersued. Hard core debters ignore all court notices and you end up with constructive reciept. You get the judgement which is uncollectable and you have additional expenses for court fees and process serving. A moral victory which is sometimes worth going after. 1% is the magic number. Your bad debt should be a fraction of 1% in this business. If it is higher you need to look more closely at your customers ability to pay.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts