1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Have you installed solar panels on your truck?

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by XC skier, Oct 23, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    XC skier

XC skier LawnSite Senior Member

Some good input. I have shelved any thoughts of solar panels on my truck. It sounded like a good idea but, it seems that it just easier to put the batteries on the chargers in the shop at night and reinstall the next morning. I now have four batteries for four pieces of equipment so I'm good for now.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Potentially--you could add a charging plug on your truck. So you could charge batteries as you drive. Somebody must know how to do this.
    It would be a little more difficult if you needed 18 volts--still it should be possible.
    If you are on your electric start mower a lot--potentially your mower could have a charger that would charge your battery-operated hand-held equipment.
    12 volt batteries are usually charged with 14.5 volts.
    For instance:

and

https://www.bing.com/search?q=charg...s=n&sk=&cvid=0C6DF7CF684D4D6389A36B7266781137

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  3. Youngandfree

Youngandfree LawnSite Member
    from VA

If it was me, I'd upgrade my alternator and run a heavy gauge wire to the back of the truck. Put an adequate plug on it and run a similar wire from trailer tongue into the trailer. Just get an invertor and a power strip. Pkug chargers in off the invertor.

4. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Gold Member

I've done very similar to this. Having an onboard inverter thats capable of a few hundred watts is very handy. Also as a bonus, it basically turns your vehicle into an emergency generator as well.

Youngandfree likes this.
  5. nickg13

nickg13 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Once it's out, get the Tesla Cybertruck to pull the trailer and charge all the equipment, and smoke nearly any petro-powered vehicle on the road! :laugh: