1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Hay mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carlriv, Jan 2, 2007.

1. carlriv

carlriv LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Any thoughts on how much should it cost to have a 100 acre +/- field mowed down to 5". Not hayed and baled etc, just cut down 2 times per year.

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well if its flat and can be done with a 15'-20' rotary mower your probably looking around $110 an hour, for 100 acres...im not sure on the excact time...but i might take anywhere from 8-10 hours...the 4700 i run with an 8' mower is $65 and it takes me about 1/2 hour to do 1 acre...but thats with hills, trees, and all types of obstables.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I know. It is amazing how little bush hogging and high weed mowing go for with the right conditions. Some of these fields and larger areas I can't TOUCH for how much I could just get it done for by someone with the right equipment. Most of the guys around here get the same amount that e do for mowing.

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I've subbed it out for $50 an acre.

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

$50 an acre?...jesus...with what type of equipment...60" z-turns maybe but certainly not 15-20' rotary mowers, and if he has 100 acres to mow hes not going to be using a z-turn

6. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a farmer myself. Buy a 12 foot disk mower and a JD 7000 series tractor and run 14 MPH on the whole thing, you'll get done in no time.

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

It does depend on your equipment. Never bring a knife to a gun fight. I have seen road side advertisments for as low as $15.00 an AC but most of us would starve on that with our EQ.

8. carcrz

It was a field that was almost waist high & no idea what was in it. Are you saying it was high or low? Next day service was also provided.

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

He was saying it depends on the EQ.

I think.:hammerhead:

10. carcrz

It's all about mark-up. I only needed it once so I didn't think it was too bad of a deal. The customer was happy w/ the price I gave him & now that it was all cleaned up I have more of a lawn to mow!