1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Haz-Mat regulations

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jimslawns, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. jimslawns

    jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 283

    So I am working on getting my applicators lic. and hope to be doing some spraying/applications later in the spring. And as i thought a little more about this, does anybody know if we are going to have to be placarded and such to haul chemical. I know DOT requires placarding over 1 thousand lbs. I don't recall seeing anybody with placards around here but....I know from my experience that you don't want to be caught without placards.

  2. SWD

    SWD LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 988

    No placards are needed if the material you are hauling does not fall into one of the catagories.
    Most, if not all, herbicides/ferts won't be placarded-unless you are hauling something like elemental sulphur or liquid anhydrous ammonium sulphide.
  3. jimslawns

    jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 283

    Just wondering how they are "classified". For example Bulk Molasses is considered a Haz-Mat item. I was thinking this because for instance, if you were carrring a 200 gal spray rig, at 8.33 lbs./gal that would put you over 1000 lbs. I am maybe putting way too much thought into this but.... It's easier to be prepared.
  4. SWD

    SWD LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 988

    Materials are classified according to their chemical composition and potential for damage. I admit, it is a new one on me to hear bulk molasses is a placarded load. I can easily see the tank trailer with a placard stantion on it, yet the actual molasses as a hazard load?
    I have had a CDL with hazmat endorsements for many years. I have hauled fuel, explosives, corrosives and radioactive waste. Other than the examples in the first post, I am not aware of 200 gal tanks of herb being a haz load.
    Contact your state DOT for more info.
  5. SodKing

    SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,641

    Placarding has a lot to do with the Reportable Quantity. If what you are carrying is above the RQ then you may need to placard. You mentioned amounts above 1000 pounds but that is in bulk quantity, the bags you are carrying are 50lbs a piece so they dont qualify for placarding. Also, in 200 gallons of liquid spray (1800lbs) you are only carrying about 28lbs of a weed control product so no placarding is needed there.
  6. James Cormier

    James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma
    Messages: 1,217

    Active ingredient is what makes the mix far below what would be needed to be considered haz mat item. That 200 gallon mix has less than 2lbs of AI

Share This Page