1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hazard pay for bee stings?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steve9, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I was mowing one of my good regular customers Wed after i did some tree trimming for her when i felt something bite the back of my leg. I didnt think anything of it until i made another pass and BANG it hit me again! I looked down and a swarm of yellow jackets were coming out of one of those plastic termite traps they put in the ground! I let the Skag go and took off to the truck. One was up my pants leg and i swatted him with my gloved hand and jumped into the truck. Got it twice but could have been worse. I waited for them to calm down then hit them with some spray that had a 20' shot. That knocked em out instantly. I billed her $85 for the lawn and tree work and left her a note telling her what happened and be careful. She sent me a check for $100 and a note saying, "sorry about that heres a little extra for hazard pay!" haha Made my day....

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Here in north Georgia last week man gets stung 2 times by yellow jacket cutting his lawn and dies before getting to hospital.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I got stung once and barley made it to the hospital. My throat was swelling up, and itching all over like crazy. Now i have to carry my epipen.