1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Headaches from blown fuses

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by Stuttering Stan, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

This year has been headache-filled with blown fuses on LED strands. Can anyone share secrets to prevent blown fuses? I've noticed corrosion which likely contributes to the problems. Anyone use some sort of electrical contract grease? Can these connections be waterproofed?

G12 fuses.jpg

2. OP
    OP
    Stuttering Stan

Man this place is dead. Bueller.................Bueller..............Bueller

ferris_bueller.jpg

3. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

wow those look beat up. The outlet prongs look real corroded.

Are your plugs laying on the ground when installed? That would cause them to have extra corrosion/moisture.

4. OP
    OP
    Stuttering Stan

Correct, the connection is on the ground and then starts to wrap the trunk. Guess I need to secure the connection at the base of the trunk but off the ground.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  5. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. That will help. When they are on the ground, they will be damp all the time.
    I would start your plug 6-8 inches off the ground. You can always wrap down then back up again if you need the lights closer to the ground.

6. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member

You could also try going to the auto parts store and getting some conductive grease to help prevent the issue.

7. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Wrap the connection real good in electric tape
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member

Tape can often let in moisture where it lingers and can't evaporate as easily. I find your better off not taping anything at all. I taped when I first started and then realized it was not really needed and could cause more harm then good.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I can't say that I've ever, ever had fuses blow due to water getting in the fuse compartment. And I've put up a cumulitave millions of lights over the years. These are LED lights you say? So an overload is likely not the issue. Where do you get your lights from? Sealed LEDs? If not I'd have to guess you have corrosion issues in the sockets causing increased resistance. If not, possibly a bad batch of LEDs?

10. OP
    OP
    Stuttering Stan

These are from Seasonal Source. I copied the below description:
    Seasonal Source Premium grade LED strands have the same energy savings benefits of the commercial sets. These are 70 light strands with traditional pre-molded plugs and are UL approved to connect 45 strands end-to-end. Many styles and brilliant colors to choose from. One piece construction and
    poly bagged for easy handling. Strand length is 23.5 feet.

We installed roughly 400 G12 strands this year. I noticed that most of the blown fuses were at ground level. So I suspect that moisture is lingering in the mulch and aiding corrosion.