Health insurance for operators

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Junior M, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I’m having a hard time getting any real good help because I’m such a small business and I can’t offer any benefits to compete with these large companies.

Do you offer insurance to your guys and if so, where from?

Any recommendations on who to shop with and who to stay away from?

2. m_ice

m_ice LawnSite Member
    from IL

There's a current thread discussing benefits with some good info.
    I'd start with your current insurance provider or if they don't do health care as many don't they should be able to refer you to someone.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  3. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Health insurance is state dependent, you have to go local. SC's gotta be one of the cheaper area's though.

Mumblingboutmowers likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Junior M

I’ve never done anything with insurance so I’m completely blind here. I’m going to make some phone calls in the morning and see what I can do

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

“Define operator”
    By that do you mean every swinging Richard that works for you or just the few guys that operate equipment?
    It’d be real strange to offer insurance just for one/two guys.

As previously mentioned in the other thread you could give them extra money to cover whatever insurance costs them through Obama care.
    “Change of job” is a qualifying factor for signing up for OBC (don’t have to wait til November)
    They can see what OBC costs them and then you can offer them a pay rate plus “medical allowance” (basically a bonus that offsets or covers their insurance costs)
    There’s nothing illegal or wrong about that.

6. OP
    OP
    Junior M

I said operator cause I wanted my thread in here with similar business owners. I don’t venture to other pages within this forum very often.

I’ll offer it to all my guys but there’s on 4. And I’d be willing to bet 2 of them don’t want it.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

As m_ice suggested, start with your current agent. They may or may not sell it.

There's 2 kinds...underwritten and not underwritten. I don't remember which is which and maybe it's changed since the unaffordable health care act was enacted, but one the premiums are based on health history the other doesn't.

I believe ours is through US Health and Life, has been since the zerocare was enacted.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I’m sorry I’m still not following
    “Operator” meaning owner/operator?

9. OP
    OP
    Junior M

I said operator because this is the “heavy equipment forum” so our employees are “operators”

m_ice and Mark Oomkes like this.
  10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would check AFLAC. They can might be able to help. I have them for supplemental insurance. Might be able to help you put a package together that you can afford and has some value.