Lawn Care Forum banner

Hearing bad things about Ferris

111K views 115 replies 42 participants last post by  MNLawns 
#1 ·
I believe I have the inside track on mowing a large property next year. Wide open areas with some bumpy spots. If I land this contract, I'm considering adding two Ferris 3100 72" ztr's to my company. I've read several threads on here about the Ferris 3100 zero turn. Everything sounds great - full suspension, velocity plus style deck, happy owners.

Here's the point of this thread (you knew I'd get there eventually) - Are they a solid machine capable of commercial work?

Example 1 - A guy I know owns a 72" 3100. He used to rave about it - called it the greatest mower ever, said he'll never own another brand, etc. He now has over 900 hours on it and curses it regularly. Says the suspension wears out quickly and always needs repair. Also, has had several smaller problems as the machine has aged. He's a heavy guy - maybe 270 - so I just chalked it up to him being too big for the mower and that putting too much stress on the suspension.

Example 2 - This past friday, I was at a gas station filling my pick up when a mowing crew pulled in next to me. The trailer carried a 60" Dixie Chopper and a 60" Hustler super Z. I love hearing opinions on equipment so I started a conversation with the guy about his mowers. He said that both the Dixie Chopper and Hustler were fine mowers and liked them both very much. When I asked him which mower he felt was better, he said he liked the Hustler better. He felt it was better built, held hills better, and cut just as well as the Chopper. When I mentioned that I was considering buying two Ferris 72" 3100's, he and his helper looked at each other and grinned - almost giggling. I said, "You don't care for Ferris?" And he said, "I used to own that exact machine. Those things are junk. I'll never own another one. I was happy to get rid of the one I had." I asked what engine it had and he said it had the Vanguard but that the engine was never a problem. He then proceeded to tell me the suspension bushings needed to be replaced at 300 hours. Later, they had to be replaced again and this time it wasn't under warranty and the cost of replacement came out of his pocket. He also said that because of the suspension screwing up, the machine never seemed to cut right. He said the machine also had countless hydraulic problems. He sold it with less than a thousand hours on the meter.

Needless to say, I'm now thinking I might want to stay clear of Ferris after hearing two horror stories.

What do you guys make of this? Any similar experiences? Neither he nor his helper were big guys. Maybe the 72" deck is too heavy for the frame?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This should be a interesting thread. I demoed a 3100 and 2000 with excessive deck sway and bounce. I have also found 5100's with the same problem. Several here on LS have since convinced me that this is not normal and is a factory assembly problem or poor dealer set up. Reguardless I liked the machine and plan to post a detailed review once I demo another one without the deck sway and bounce(if I can find one).

Many here have commented on longevity concerns due to all the extra moving parts, bushings etc. I am very interesting in hearing from someone with high hours on a 3100.

If I had some large bumpy acerage properties that required a 72" I would demo the 3100, a 472 and Super Z for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
We had a big company here that had the big 72" 33.5hp cat diesel. They paod like $20k for it after taxes. They asked me to sell it for them and they actually took $4500 for it. Said motor was awesome mower was just falling apart around it. Frame had alot of welds on it where it broke, suspension was replaced twice, he had a rant of alot of reasons he wanted it gone. They pretty much gave it away...
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
I have no experience with ferris but I'd look into a 72 hustler super z hyperdrive best mower I've Evere used , if quality of cut isn't an issue look at the 104
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
I have a 2011 Ferris 3100, 72", 32hp. Bought it at the end of 2011. I currently have approximately 740 hrs on it. Runs strong, rides great, & mows great. Changed hydro belt around 536 hrs & still have the original deck belt on.
This being my 2nd season on the mower, the "little" things have been showing up. I noticed the deck having a lot of "sway". Ordered new bushings and the rods that go through the trailing arms. It still has quite a lot of sway. ????? The plastic bushings were ok, but the rods had wear spots. The 72" deck seems to be almost too much for the mower. It has the power, but the hydros don't want to keep pushing on steep side hills, and turns seem to want to drag a tire like there is too much weight to swing around. The rear tires have worn down faster than any mower I've been around and I'm not sure if its from the suspension movement or what.
Then I was having to move the parking brake lever forward a little for it to start. Finally, the PTO wouldn't engage. After using a test light and tracking switches, it all came back to the PTO switch had gone bad. Now the ignition switch is giving me fits.
As mentioned above, I noticed a "knock" sound once in a while on rougher terrain. After further inspection, I discovered the bushings are shot on the right front shock mounts and the rear ones are cracked and looking weathered. I thought I had found the perfect mower, but now I am starting to wonder. I went from part time to full time mowing so I am racking up hours faster and I need something to hold up, although the suspension has really helped my back.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
I have a 2011 Ferris 3100, 72", 32hp. Bought it at the end of 2011. I currently have approximately 740 hrs on it. Runs strong, rides great, & mows great. Changed hydro belt around 536 hrs & still have the original deck belt on.
This being my 2nd season on the mower, the "little" things have been showing up. I noticed the deck having a lot of "sway". Ordered new bushings and the rods that go through the trailing arms. It still has quite a lot of sway. ????? The plastic bushings were ok, but the rods had wear spots. The 72" deck seems to be almost too much for the mower. It has the power, but the hydros don't want to keep pushing on steep side hills, and turns seem to want to drag a tire like there is too much weight to swing around. The rear tires have worn down faster than any mower I've been around and I'm not sure if its from the suspension movement or what.
Then I was having to move the parking brake lever forward a little for it to start. Finally, the PTO wouldn't engage. After using a test light and tracking switches, it all came back to the PTO switch had gone bad. Now the ignition switch is giving me fits.
As mentioned above, I noticed a "knock" sound once in a while on rougher terrain. After further inspection, I discovered the bushings are shot on the right front shock mounts and the rear ones are cracked and looking weathered. I thought I had found the perfect mower, but now I am starting to wonder. I went from part time to full time mowing so I am racking up hours faster and I need something to hold up, although the suspension has really helped my back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, JT. I appreciate your honesty. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. You know, if a couple of people tell you something, you think they may have some other reasons for their opinions - just got a lemon, bias, whatever. But when you get three or four people with first hand experience saying essentially the same thing? You tend to give it credence. Again, thank you for your honesty. You've just saved me from making a big mistake.

#10 ·
I have tried most zero turn mowers available. When you first get on a Ferris the ride is awesome. But after running one for a couple of years, you still notice a lot of bumps. I still like the feel of the Hustler controls, but the VX4 just didn't cut well here. The flex forks make a big difference, but we also had several "little" issues pop up with Hustlers.
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
I have tried most zero turn mowers available. When you first get on a Ferris the ride is awesome. But after running one for a couple of years, you still notice a lot of bumps. I still like the feel of the Hustler controls, but the VX4 just didn't cut well here. The flex forks make a big difference, but we also had several "little" issues pop up with Hustlers.
Posted via Mobile Device
I currently run Scag Turf Tigers, Exmark Lazers, and Toro Z Masters. All have rigid frames and even with suspension seats, it'll be a rough ride on this particular property I'm bidding. I love Scag so I might have to consider the Cheetah. Though, I don't believe it's as well built as the Turf Tigers. I'll consider Hustler and Gravely also but dealer support is an issue for those two in my area. Closest Gravely guy is 50 miles away and the nearest Hustler guy is a small time operation.

#13 ·
Ferris is a decent commercial machine.
But...
It's not backed well by the factory, they don't want to listen to anyone about "the little things" and don't want to consider that there might be a few things that are wrong.
All in all your talking about a great machine that trips over twigs, to the point of making it a non-production machine.
I had a 3100z that was basically not worth putting on the trailer.
The hydraulic problems are quite evident after 400 hours, and the engineers don't want to hear a about it.
I have countless pictures of emailing them back and forth about a hydro leak, and they didn't want to hear my diagnosis that BOTH the motor and the pump were leaking... "well which one is it?" duuh both!
'well we have looked at the pictures and decided that it is X'
when they sent me X and it still leaked from Y, they got mad at ME.
all this over the course of several weeks while the mower was down.

They promised me up and down that this was an anomaly due to the fact that the machine I had, had a serial number that put it in a 'prototype' phase, and this was the reason for all the problems.
I'm big on keeping a fleet a fleet and didn't want to hop mower brands just because I had a few problems.
I bought two more machines, and after receiving delivery, realized that they don't both go the same speed...what? How odd... factory has NO answer for this.
After telling them I had a problem in the fleet, they decide 'I' was the problem, and won't talk to me anymore, I have to go through my dealer who is thousands of miles away from me (good guys, the dealer)

IF you want tanks that last for ever, SCAG.
BUT I wouldnt get 72" mowers... get a cheetah in 60 inch.
Here is why, simply put, what if you don't keep that contract? Your mowers will easily out live that contract, property could get sold, they could turn it into a parking lot, etc etc.
a 60 inch mower is more versatile and can be used on nearly everything 1/2 acre and up.
The cheetah is hands down the best combination of fast and well built out there.
You will also get the highest resale value if you ever sell them out of anything else around, and the higher rate of speed (and the better maneuverability of the 60" deck) will more than make up for the lack of the 72" deck.

Get the striping roller kit on the decks from day one, not only will the cut look way better, but it also helps heavily with bumpy lumpy properties and the deck gouging or scalping anywhere (another reason not to get a 72)

Another brand you might really want to look into, tackling the issue from another angle, is the Walker... Walker Super B has the largest deck available you can buy, but it also is an outfront deck meaning it will roll and countour much better than mid mounts , the out front will also let it go under low hanging trees and prickers, etc without having to half drive into them yourself with your face.
Additionally the way the deck and tractor undulate differently than a midmount will also help enormously with a very bumpy, uneven property.
Bonus to the walker is all the different attachments/decks you can out on there as well.
74" side discharge not working over here? Put on a smaller mulching deck, aerator, snow blower...whatever you need.

Super Bs are built much more sturdy than their typical GHS counterparts, and have the best suspension seat in the industry (IMO):clapping:

Same can be said of the slightly larger grasshopper brand. also an outfront mower.

#14 ·
Oh one more that you might consider (especially if the walker/grasshopper entry is appealing to you) is the ventrac, they have a huge deck they call the counter deck, reminds me of the old wing decks from howard price, but goes together like one big rotary deck, the different aspects of the deck roll and undulate with the turd, even cutting the plateau and down the side of the enbankment at the same time... perfect for the rolly polliest of properties, plus the 8 million other things you can do with the attachments.

Their vaccum system is the best of both worlds between what grasshopper and walker offer.

#15 ·
I started with Exmark, then tried Deere, then Hustlers for several years, then tried a Scag Cheetah (which still felt rigid to me after flex forks, because they take the initial brunt out of a bump), then went to Ferris. Sometimes a rigid mower feels better, but on a lot of properties I mow, the Ferris suspension really saves a guy. I mow farms, commercial properties, etc., that everyone thinks they can drive all of the biggest equipment they have across them, even after a rain. grrrrr!!!! The Hustler dealer I dealt with treated me well, and my Ferris dealer does a decent job. The Exmark/Gravely dealer is the best at customer service, etc., but their prices are a little steeper. Every dealer I have access to, besides Deere, is a half hour to an hour away. I demoed the Gravely with the air ride seat. It was pretty nice. Scag and Country Clipper seem to have some of the plushest suspension seats. I put a Michigan suspension seat on my Ferris, but went back to the factory non-suspension, plush seat for better all day comfort. The Michigan seats seem to get a little hard on the backside on large properties where you mow for several hours straight.
Didn't mean to ramble, just sharing my experiences to try helping out.
I have also considered a front mount unit. Some say they ride better than a mid-mount, but there is an extra set of wheels going to hit every bump. I wonder if that would make it rougher or spreading it out would make it smoother? Ferris/Snapper make the same front mount, just Ferris puts a suspension seat on theirs.

#16 ·
I see there are 4 - 6 folks that have had issues with the Ferris suspension so let’s look at numbers. The Ferris IS3100 rear shock Ferris part number 5100270 is strictly used on the IS3100 unit. With that said I do not know how many Ferris IS3100 units are sold in one year but every machine has 2 rear shocks so I would have to assume that there are quite a few of these shocks out in the field and only a hand full of folks complaining about them. Now let’s turn to the front shocks on the Ferris IS3100 units. The IS3100 with a 61" cut has a Ferris part number 5023436. Are you ready for this? This part number shock is not only used on all of the IS3100 units front ends but it also goes on the rear end of the Ferris IS700, IS1500, IS2000 and the front end of the IS2500 unit. That means that there a huge amount of this particular shock out there with only a hand full of folks complaining about them. Now the IS3100 unit with a 72" cut has a heaver front shock Ferris part number 5023383. This shock is used on the IS3100 unit, IS4500 unit and the rear steering tire of the Pro Cut S three wheel units. So again with the number of shocks out there vs. the number of folks that have had issues, there is a substantial difference in the numbers between complaints and shock being used in the field. I wish I knew the Ferris sales numbers because that would complete the facts about these numbers of complaints vs. the number of actual shocks being used in the field. As for bushings wearing out. The folks with those issues please provide me with the serial number of your machine, the hours on your unit and the exact bushing that you are talking about (there are many bushings on these units) and I will see if I can address your complaints one on one.

#17 ·
Early 3100 and 5100's had issues with the bushings in the A-arms of the rear suspension wearing quickly. There is an update kit to convert old machines to the new style of A-arm and depending on hours and such.

As far as I know the new style has been pretty trouble free. I dont have many of the big machines out though. I do see alot of older machines though with worn bushings and the owners never want it fixed and never complain about the cut... But I also have Wright standers come in with the front wheel bearings completely gone and no complaints about the cut(actually in for the clutch not working or something else, nothing to do with the bearings).

#18 ·
I see there are 4 - 6 folks that have had issues with the Ferris suspension so let’s look at numbers. The Ferris IS3100 rear shock Ferris part number 5100270 is strictly used on the IS3100 unit. With that said I do not know how many Ferris IS3100 units are sold in one year but every machine has 2 rear shocks so I would have to assume that there are quite a few of these shocks out in the field and only a hand full of folks complaining about them. Now let’s turn to the front shocks on the Ferris IS3100 units. The IS3100 with a 61" cut has a Ferris part number 5023436. Are you ready for this? This part number shock is not only used on all of the IS3100 units front ends but it also goes on the rear end of the Ferris IS700, IS1500, IS2000 and the front end of the IS2500 unit. That means that there a huge amount of this particular shock out there with only a hand full of folks complaining about them. Now the IS3100 unit with a 72" cut has a heaver front shock Ferris part number 5023383. This shock is used on the IS3100 unit, IS4500 unit and the rear steering tire of the Pro Cut S three wheel units. So again with the number of shocks out there vs. the number of folks that have had issues, there is a substantial difference in the numbers between complaints and shock being used in the field. I wish I knew the Ferris sales numbers because that would complete the facts about these numbers of complaints vs. the number of actual shocks being used in the field. As for bushings wearing out. The folks with those issues please provide me with the serial number of your machine, the hours on your unit and the exact bushing that you are talking about (there are many bushings on these units) and I will see if I can address your complaints one on one.
So you are trying to isolate these 4-6 folks posting here, as 'just a few people' complaining about a problem, BUT THEN want to use figures of global sales, to show how 'small' the problem is?

That's pretty faulty.

How the people who are posting on this forum, who have owned or operated ferris, or had some experience with them, what percentage of THEM are complaining? Oh my, that ratio just jumped to "most" all the way from "hardly".

You can't say thousands of units sold, only 4-6 complainers. this little thread is hardly a cross section of ferris owners.
But it's an excellent snaphot of experience with ferris. How many ferris owners that are posting here are 'happy' with their ferris?
Might want to start with that ratio?

#19 ·
From my experience with ferris, they're great but tend to have tons of problems. First year my old boss had a newer model it was in the shop almost 10 times, with tons if parts that got replaced for upgraded parts at ferris' suggestion. I'd consider something more durable, the suspension is great, but I think you trade comfort for durability.
Posted via Mobile Device

#20 ·
So you are trying to isolate these 4-6 folks posting here, as 'just a few people' complaining about a problem, BUT THEN want to use figures of global sales, to show how 'small' the problem is?

That's pretty faulty.

How the people who are posting on this forum, who have owned or operated ferris, or had some experience with them, what percentage of THEM are complaining? Oh my, that ratio just jumped to "most" all the way from "hardly".

You can't say thousands of units sold, only 4-6 complainers. this little thread is hardly a cross section of ferris owners.
But it's an excellent snaphot of experience with ferris. How many ferris owners that are posting here are 'happy' with their ferris?
Might want to start with that ratio?
Folks from around the world use this website so YES these are my examples. I am simply posting facts. A happy customer is less likely to post then an unhappy customer. After all if they have no issues what do they do they have to post and complain about? Unhappy folks are more likly to post becuase they want to air there fustrations so.................. 4 out of 6 folks are complaining about the shocks the other must be happy. :walking:

#23 ·
Every brand has their problems. But I think what Dakota Dog is trying to get across is that people that own their machine and don't post about it much is either happy with their purchase or don't have much to grip about. But if your a customer whom isn't happy with their purchase, then yea your gonna hear all sorts of things they are upset about. Same thing happens in my store all the time. I sell a unit and I don't see they customer again for 8 months or longer. I worry a little that maybe there was something he/she wasn't satisfied with, but they come back with a smile on their face because they haven't had 1 problem or hasn't had a need to come back to my store. But if I have a customer thats had problems, I see them often, and the ones that are mad- you often can't deal with very well cause they walk in with ultimatums and think it's their way or the highway. You can only do the best you can with what you've got to work with.

I back Ferris because they are a good machine. I get anything I ask for when it comes to getting my customers satisfied. They have their shortcomings, I would change plenty of things about them. But I'm not a engineer either. But overall they have a advantage to everything else out their. Is their better machines out there? Sure. Everyone has different needs, therefor there are 30 different brands of Zeros on the market. They have made leaps and bounds over 3-4 years ago in quality and is getting better every year. Everyone has their flavor- GMLC loves Gravely because he has nothing but good things out of Gravely machines and service. Retrodog is a big Bad Boy advocate because he sells tons of them and gets good service from the manufacturer to take care of his customers. MkHippy and Puppypaws loves their hustlers.

It just looks like Ferris is on the chopping block right now. Everything on lawnsite has one time or another. Bad Boy, Exmark, Scag, Gravely, dixie chopper, Hustler, all of'em. Some one starts a thread on how they are dissatisfied about a brand and all the haters pile on lol. But you look at all the other threads about Ferris, they seem to be pretty darn positive. Its just like anything else, your either gonna love'em or hate'em.

Now I don't know how things work for Alaska as far as dealers go- but as far as TPendagast situation goes- I could understand how your upset. I'd be pissed my $12,000 mower started having serious issues within 400hrs. And you found a dealer to work with you. Did you buy these from a dealer on-line or something? It looks like overall you were dis satisfied with it, but you bought two more machines to keep your fleet all one brand. Other than the two new mowers have one slower than the other, how are you liking them? Are they doing everything they should? What about the original machine?

#24 ·
I don't mean to sound like a hater, I was just stating my experience. I still really like my Ferris. I had a local dealer tell me he wouldn't sell Ferris because they had too many moving parts, and now he sells Simplicity & brags about their suspension!!!! Those of us that run mowers should be selling them. I have known more about mowers I looked at than the dealers selling them!! Why don't they do any research? I have replaced whatever parts are wearing without crying "warranty" just taking it as wear & tear and maintenance. Ferris parts have been reasonably priced compared to some of the other brands I've owned, but that even varies dealer to dealer. I have encouraged others to buy Exmark when I had mine, Hustlers when I owned them, and have had several purchase Ferris mowers after running mine. They are all good machines. Exmark has improved since my original advantage series, the Hustler controls, speed, & ride seemed an improvement over the Exmark, and the Ferris has the ride & cut I was looking for. I read the posts about others getting 3,000+ hours on mowers and scratch my head. I can't even fathom that! I guess we are always looking for the next "best" thing. It seems like the need for speed has changed everything. Now mowers are capable of 15-17 MPH, engines keeping getting bigger, people try cutting at full speed, and the ride gets rougher. Time is money, but maybe things need to back down a bit. A farmer in his 50's told me that my 32/72 Ferris has more horsepower than his first tractor and is as wide as his first disk!!! But I have also ran other smaller mowers and it drives me crazy not having the speed, power, and width after going big!!
Posted via Mobile Device

#26 ·
I don't mean to sound like a hater, I was just stating my experience. I still really like my Ferris. I had a local dealer tell me he wouldn't sell Ferris because they had too many moving parts, and now he sells Simplicity & brags about their suspension!!!! Those of us that run mowers should be selling them. I have known more about mowers I looked at than the dealers selling them!! Why don't they do any research? I have replaced whatever parts are wearing without crying "warranty" just taking it as wear & tear and maintenance. Ferris parts have been reasonably priced compared to some of the other brands I've owned, but that even varies dealer to dealer. I have encouraged others to buy Exmark when I had mine, Hustlers when I owned them, and have had several purchase Ferris mowers after running mine. They are all good machines. Exmark has improved since my original advantage series, the Hustler controls, speed, & ride seemed an improvement over the Exmark, and the Ferris has the ride & cut I was looking for. I read the posts about others getting 3,000+ hours on mowers and scratch my head. I can't even fathom that! I guess we are always looking for the next "best" thing. It seems like the need for speed has changed everything. Now mowers are capable of 15-17 MPH, engines keeping getting bigger, people try cutting at full speed, and the ride gets rougher. Time is money, but maybe things need to back down a bit. A farmer in his 50's told me that my 32/72 Ferris has more horsepower than his first tractor and is as wide as his first disk!!! But I have also ran other smaller mowers and it drives me crazy not having the speed, power, and width after going big!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Ha ha it is crazy what these new big mowers are doing no n days. And now they are costing more than brand new full size trucks did in the early 90s. I mow 20 acres at my dads place. We had to 61" bush hog zeros. When we became a dealer, one ferris 3100z cut the time we were mowing by HALF. Its that productive on rough ground. So I too gotta have the biggest baddest machine
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.