• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Hearing Protection

mculik5

LawnSite Member
This is an oddball question...

I have a Toro ZTR. If I use over-the-ear hearing protection (ear muffs), anytime I turn the deck on, the noise is almost worse than no hearing protection. I think this is because the ear muffs are resonating. To be clear, the ear muffs work great when the deck is not on.

I've tried three different brands of ear muffs, with sunglasses on, without, etc., etc., and nothing seems to help. I've also tried using disposable plugs with ear muffs on top, and that's worse than disposable plugs on their own.

So, I'm currently using disposable plugs only, which is the best option I've been able to find, but still not great.

Have any of you guys dealt with this before? Are there any alternatives to ear muffs and plugs that you've been impressed with?

Thanks.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I have the same problem with over the ear muffs. It makes it worse, sounds like a helicopter.

Here's what I exclusively use now. They come in a three pack for about $6 at home depot. They are reusable, they are a soft rubber material.
Screenshot_20200620-102618_Chrome.jpg
The string keeps them from getting lost as easily, as well as enables me to remove them and dangle them across the back if my neck if needed.

They come with a little storage case. I usually just keep the case in my pocket all the time, so when I need them they are there.

DMT29

LawnSite Member
I use ClearArmor ear muffs . The ones rated for gun ranges. I have never had an issue. But you are right, when I wear sunglasses, pretty much all over-the-ear muffs are brutal.

Green Industry Pro

LawnSite Senior Member
I have the same problem with over the ear muffs. It makes it worse, sounds like a helicopter.

Here's what I exclusively use now. They come in a three pack for about $6 at home depot. They are reusable, they are a soft rubber material. View attachment 403922 The string keeps them from getting lost as easily, as well as enables me to remove them and dangle them across the back if my neck if needed.

They come with a little storage case. I usually just keep the case in my pocket all the time, so when I need them they are there.
This is exactly what we use. I absolutely love them. Very comfortable and easy to keep clean. I buy them in bulk so that everyone working has one. I'm not sure if they're better than muffs or worse. I've never used muffs and wouldn't want to. Too clunky and seems like it would be disgusting with all of the sweat and dirt.

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
I, too, use the 3M corded plugs whenever working with noisy equipment, but with the TT2 that I am typically on for hours at a time I also wear a good set of shooter's earmuffs.

When I was in the military many years ago we were issued plastic plugs that, by themselves, were highly effective at blocking noise, came in multiple sizes, and were very comfortable, but I have been unable to find anything like those.

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
I, too, use the 3M corded plugs whenever working with noisy equipment, but with the TT2 that I am typically on for hours at a time I also wear a good set of shooter's earmuffs.

When I was in the military many years ago we were issued plastic plugs that, by themselves, were highly effective at blocking noise, came in multiple sizes, and were very comfortable, but I have been unable to find anything like those.
The ones the military is suing 3m over cause guys where still going deaf?

JayinKs

LawnSite Senior Member
Isotunes Pro?? Huh. I'm interested. So you get good noise reduction/cancellation with them?
Yes, the Pro. They are doing quite well. Ti be in compliance with OSHA they can be no louder than 75db. I do wish they were a touch louder but I can hear my music fine. I can still hear the mower some which i like incase something happens but i don't get the resonating hum. So far I like them. I've only had them about 4 weeks.