heat tolerance of four mix

TuffWork

LawnSite Senior Member
I've been using Stihl 55-R trimmers for years. I really like how light they are as we do alot of edging with them. However, it seems they get hard to start when it's hot outside. (or sometimes they are just temperamental in general) Would moving up to a 4 mix model fix this?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I own a couple of 4 mix machines (FS 90 & BR 600M), and they always start first or second pull cold, and first pull warm. Every single time no matter how hot it is out either.

OP
TuffWork

TuffWork

LawnSite Senior Member
No offense to you being in Michigan, but it's already 90 degrees some days here. Anybody have some responses about working 105 degree days?

OP
TuffWork

TuffWork

LawnSite Senior Member
We pretty much only have the 10% ethanol stuff here, and since it became really popular a few years ago I've had alot of problems with my everyday use 2 stroke equipment. Its mostly on starting. I do have problems keeping them revved up, too. I have to keep them running pretty high RPMs or they get bogged down. I hate having to run them at almost full blast just to keep them going. Plus, I have new help this year and they can't seem to get the hang of it because they aren't running as well as they usually should. Especially when turned upside down to edge.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Start running SeaFoam, and/or Star-Tron in them every other tankful of fuel for a while. I did that for my handhelds starting back a year or two ago, and my 11 year old SH85 Stihl handheld that was getting a little hard to start (especially in the heat), now starts easier than it did when new. I just can't get over what a difference it has made in them.

On top of that, I am running Amsoil Saber at 80:1 now, and most all of my handhelds have more power by a noticable degree, and it too, seems to make them easier to start.