1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

heavy duty tools

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Totally Stumped, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Totally Stumped

Totally Stumped LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a Ludell axe from HD and the blade bent on the FIRST blow. No, I didn't miss and hit a rock or something else equally hard-it was steel on wood and the wood (a ligustrum stump) won.
    I have had it with cheap, light duty garden tools! Shame on me for buying from a home improvement mega store!
    Here's my wish list: axe, pick mattock, sledge hammer, plastic grain shovel (I think you call them snow shovels up north) and a maul that will stand up to heavy duty commercial use. I need commercial grade stuff, the heavier, the better. I need to be able to look at the stuff online and have it shipped to me.
    Thanks!

2. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I like A.M. Leonard. They may not everything you listed but they have high quality stuff

www.amleonard.com

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

A.M. Leonard. Forestry Supply. Ben Meadows.

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I bought a few all metal shovel at Lowe's by Fiskars for $25. I love those things. We break fiberglass ones as well as wood.

I think it is funny if you read some of the warranties on "commercial grade" spades, axes, etc. They say commercial grade w/ lifetime warranty, but in fine print say that the warranty only applies to homeowner use. What a contradiction.

5. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

lawnworks i got fiskers like that for $3 each when sears stopped selling them. normally :cool2: $25

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Wow... I would have cleared them out! How many did you get? I really love those shovels.

7. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

I'd love a pair of indestructable post hole diggers. I started getting the all steel ones by Fiskars, and the first couple took forever to break. After that, I seemed to go through them like nothing. I had one where the weld broke on the very first hole I dug. It's a shame because I really like the Fiskars, all welded, no nuts to work lose or anything. Any fence contractors have any recommendations??