1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Heavy duty trimmers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Aug 22, 2004.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Recently purchased a tractor and rotary cutter and have been doing some bush hogging jobs.There are always some areas inaccessible to the tractor which have to be done by hand;I use my trimmer,a JD XT140.This is a pretty good trimmer,probably middle-of-the-line as far as size is concerned,but cutting through heavy stuff is a bit slow.Sometimes I use a blade.I've thought about renting a WB brush remover,too,but that would increase my expenses another hundred bucks or so.
    Any recommendations as far as trimmers are concerned?Thanks in advance.
    Jim

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your budget? Stihl makes a clearing trimmer for this purpose, I've never seen one in person but they look pretty impressive. Check their website, I think it's www.stihlusa.com

3. IMPACT

IMPACT LawnSite Member

That Stihl runs about 1K+. If you are going to do a lot of brush work, a clearing saw is a good piece of equipment to own. I think they are capable of cutting 4" diameter growth.. Do a search on LS, and there was a guy here that ran these beasts, and you can see what he said about them.

4. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I'm about "budgeted out" for this year but could probably scrape together a little bit more.I haven't priced any Stihl trimmers but the nice JD's are in the $500 range,I think.I do like Stihl products,though,so I'll see if I can locate that trimmer on their website.Thanks.