Heavy duty trimming

AjilaAmaFarm

LawnSite Member
I’m getting some contracts for mowing solar sites. There is a LOT of trimming against hard surfaces (upright metal poles) and lots of chain link fence lines…. Cutting once a month or ever 6 weeks, so, it’ll be heavy growth. I’ve got a couple questions, I currently run the largest of the stihl trimmers (fs 250 and fs240) on my farm so I’m no stranger to running the big trimmers however I rarely if ever have to trim against hard surfaces here. I’m looking for line options that are going to hold up better than others, I prefer round profile (but not stuck on it) seems like it takes less oompf out of the machine than the funky shaped kinds do. My other question, I’ve never run one of those “walk behind” trimmers before, the terrain can be rough with hills on these sites… what do yall think of those? Worth getting one or just keep running the fs250/240 machines and forget about it? There’s gonna be from 8-12 man hours of trimming on each of these sites, I can bill appropriately so not worried about money, just worried about maximizing my output.

Fatwood

LawnSite Senior Member
A walk behind trimmer takes too long if you're worried about cutting all of the weeds. It's also not near as maneuverable as a stick trimmer. The trimmers you have now should have plenty balls enough to do what you want to do. Lastly, Rotary Vortex is the best trimmer line I've ever used.

OP
A

AjilaAmaFarm

LawnSite Member
A walk behind trimmer takes too long if you're worried about cutting all of the weeds. It's also not near as maneuverable as a stick trimmer. The trimmers you have now should have plenty balls enough to do what you want to do. Lastly, Rotary Vortex is the best trimmer line I've ever used.
That’s kinda what I thought, I never really felt an urge to buy one of those, but now with a little more to do, I was curious if it might be worth having one on the trailer. Thanks!