1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

heavy equipment trailers(i.e. skid steers/mini ex) questions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by deerewashed, Sep 15, 2013.

  1. whiffyspark

    whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,506

    A 25,999 truck and a 9,999 trailer technically doesn't need cdl right? That's basically a 750 and skid trailer
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. AWJ Services

    AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga
    Messages: 4,281

    If you got pulled over and where checked there supposed too check each axles weight. So if you balanced the load and no axle was overwight then it is legal. My gooskneck has 2 7k axles and the GVWR is 15,600 pounds. Behind my F250 it and the trailer weigh 12,500 pounds.
  3. Mark13

    Mark13 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 178

    Depending what year F250 you have and what your plates are good for you've got quite a bit of useable capacity.

    My truck and gooseneck are 17,000lb empty, I'm plated for 32,000lb.
    Trailer is 8600lb empty with 2 10k axles and a 24,999lb gvw. Truck is 8400lb empty, don't remember my axle ratings off hand, 4680fawr and 6850lb rawr comes to mind but I'm probably wrong.
  4. TTS

    TTS LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 615

    Wrong. The combination of those two exceeds 26k. Any vehicle single or combined that exceeds 26k requires a CDL. Since your trailer is less than 10k you can get away with a class B CDL. If the combination is greater than 26k and the trailer is greater than 10k you need a class A. Pulling a 9,999 trailer you would need a truck at 16k or less
  5. hosejockey2002

    hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,195

    Actually, he's right. A single vehicle over 26K requires a CDL, but the combo can exceed 26K IF the trailer is under 10K GVWR. Here's the verbage from the Idaho website, but this is federal standard.

    Combination vehicle with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR*) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided that the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR*) of the towed unit is greater than 10,000 pounds.

    Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds.

    Vehicle transporting 16 or more persons (including the driver).

    Vehicle of any size carrying hazardous materials in quantities large enough to require placards.
  6. dieselss

    dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,066

    The first thing the DOT police are going to do is ck the gvwr on the door sticker and then on the vin plate of the trail. If that is over 26001 then cdl is needed.
    If your truck is over 10000 and your using for profit dot numbers are needed as well
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. TTS

    TTS LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 615

    I stand corrected, I read the rules off the back of my license which are condensed to fit and the wording was odd. After looking it up on the WIDOT site you're correct.

    Where it gets tricky is going to class A, if your trailer is 10,001 or more then your truck can max at 15,999 or less (combination under 26k) It's annoying how they switch between single vehicle and combination weights between the 2 classes.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  8. Duffster

    Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest
    Messages: 1,197


    Technically you can go to 26k + 10k.
  9. hosejockey2002

    hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,195

    True that. It gets really tricky when you get close to the limit. If you are towing with, say an F550 and have one of those trailers that's derated to 9999 GVWR to get around the CDL regs and you are 2 pounds overweight on the trailer, you are really screwed if you don't hold a CDL!
  10. dieselss

    dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,066

    No. The combo is 36,000 that's cdl
    Posted via Mobile Device

Share This Page