1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Heavy Rain After Spreading Topsoil

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Bill Jones, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Bill Jones

Bill Jones LawnSite Member

I was planning on laying sod today, so I busted my hump to get 11 yards of fresh topsoil down yesterday. Then a storm blew through overnight dumping close to 2 inches of rain. Now the topsoil has what looks like a lot of wood chips on the surface. The sod farmer can't harvest due to the rain and now I'm delayed until later this week with more rain expected tonight. Based on this picture am I in trouble with the topsoil or will I be okay?

IMG_2493.JPG

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes....sod needs to be tight to soil...especially in hot weather.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Bill Jones

What should I do to correct it before the sod delivers?

4. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Go out and scratch it up, get some dirt to the surface so its not all mulch, the topsoil was mostly fine ground mulch.

I would not really fret over it so long as you have irrigation, just soak the hell out of the sod when it comes. It should be fine.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Bill Jones

Should I take a leaf rake and take the mulch off so there's a good surface for contact? I have a little bit of topsoil left that I can spread around too. I plan to wait until they tell me the sod is being cut to spread it.

6. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

spread an extra yard or so over it.

Cam15 likes this.
  7. Cjames808

Cjames808 LawnSite Senior Member

That’s compost. Never seen wood chips make it in top soil.

I’d rake and blow the chips off and add a bit or till it lightly before the sod.

water it heavy after the sod install.

watch the weather.

Cam15 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Bill Jones

Isn’t tilling it while wet a bad idea?

9. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

When you get the sod, use the rest of your soil you have, prep your areas with a rake, and get ready to lay the sod. Make sure the seams are tight, and also consider a liquid turf builder to spray onto it and water at the same time, read and follow the directions Thumbs Up

Also don’t buy sod that’s been rolled up for more than 1-2 day tops,I go to the supplier where it’s cut fresh

Best of luck.

Cam15 and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Bill Jones

Thoughts on putting liquid aeration on the soil before laying sod?