Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just would like to get some imput on different brands of hedge clippers whats the best in weight and virbration to. I was thinking of just getting an double sided echo 20 inch or something around that size. All my EQ is echo and i havnt had any trouble out of them yet but i have heard some bad things about the echo bp blower,i have just the handheld because just starting out this year. What better why of finding out a question just ask about 300 people. Man I love this site.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a Stihl 40 inch single side. I have only had it for a year but no problems. Why the single side? It felt better balanced because one hand is on each side of the engine. The 40 inch lets you trim without bending over or getting a ladder the majority of the time and makes most cuts in one pass. Drawbacks, it is a little heavy on big jobs. My 2 cents.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
I use the echo 1500 series. runs real good but they finally need sharpening after several years of use.

my unit was available ar home depot for around $379. I bought mine as a return product for $50.

all things considered, it's the most proffitable piece of equipment I own.

GEO

·
Registered
519 Posts
in addtion to my extended hedge trimmers Sthil of coure..
the hs 80 has a very nice feature.....the handel swivels comes in handy all the time i have not had any problems with it.equipt with a 28" and double sided blades ..it was a great choice .

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I too had a pair Echo 1500. I paid about $230 for them in 1994 and used them until last year. They weren't the greatest in the world, but they were lightweight.

·
770 Posts
I rented a Stihl angle hedge trimmer yesterday for a customers property that had hedges up and beyond the windows. The Stihl was a dream come true. I even used it to trim the smaller stuff. I gots to gets me one.

·
Banned
336 Posts
Originally posted by BUSHMASTER
in addtion to my extended hedge trimmers Sthil of coure..
the hs 80 has a very nice feature.....the handel swivels comes in handy all the time i have not had any problems with it.equipt with a 28" and double sided blades ..it was a great choice .
Same one i bought 3 weeks ago and i could not have made a better choice.

·
Banned
481 Posts
Felco hand pruners work best. Tell your customers that they need to spend $1500 a month min. if they want good bushes they really need to be done by hand- hedge trimmers don't and can't do a perfect job. If you're doing commercial it doesn't matter, do estates and it does.For commercial sites I do I use the ECHO SHC line works great, just tape up where the third hand is supposed to hold when starting.

[Edited by powerreel on 10-11-2000 at 12:05 AM]

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have the echo 1500. I have three pairs of them, I like them. Very reliable and light weight. I tried the Stihl trimmers too. I like them a lot, my nexy pair will probably be Stihl.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Powerreel, hand clippers is what i use right now just getting started and bought them so i could make quicker profit but you know them hand clippers are alot of work and time cunsuming and customers around here will not pay the price. The hand clippers are also very hard on the wrist i have one customer that has 4 hedges by the road she calls them hedges I call them hickory bushes but anyway the things have extra growth every 3 weeks. I guess sthil sounds like the best choice right know, thanks everyone for the input .

Jasonp

·
Banned
481 Posts
You are in the wrong neighborhood! I am drinking coffee at 6:41 am getting ready for a day of estate pruning with felcos. The owners get upset if they don't get $1500 a month worth of billing, my advice choose upscale clients, they got the dough!

·
Registered
345 Posts
powerreel - are you saying you trim hedges by hand with pruners rather than hedge shears? I know that hand trimming can look better than machine trimming but I would assume you would be using hedge shears rather than a little pruner. I would think that Felco would make one but I don't see Felco hedge shears in the AM Leonard catalog. I have some Felco loppers and I know they also make the best pruners. Just wondering. That would be a lot of work!

·
Banned
481 Posts
Sometimes they just want to see someone who is busy! A bush cut only at the right node will look way better than a sheared bush any day. Don't get me wrong, I do shear some people's houses! Felco hand pruners work best, I have corona hand shears too, you can regrind them after hours of abuse,er I mean use!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Powerreel theres not realy any unscale estates around here. I have a customer in a gated community but they are tight on their money. I guess they didnt get well off by spending 1500.00 a mth to get hedges hand cut. But if u can do more power to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.