1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Hedge Trimmer,gas Or Electric?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BASIC, Jul 10, 2003.

1. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

Hi,I have to buy a hedge trimmer,I went to look at them the other day,I didn't know how heavy the gas ones were,about 12-13 lbs.My dealer suggested a Commercial electric by Little Wonder,it was much lighter about 8 lbs.I also can get a hedge trimmer attachment for my Shidaiwa Multi-Purpose Tool Carrier,it would be a little hard to use close up but I wouldn't need a ladder to get to the tops of the bushes.Any suggestions,please?Thanks,BASIC.

2. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a gas hedge trimmer.

3. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Since I bought the hedge trimmer attatchment for my Stihl FS 85 I never get a chance to use them. My helper always grabs them first and he is only 5 ft 2. I also own the Echo HC 1500 but it only gets used on the really big jobs that require both of us trimming. You gotta go gas. I would stongly consider getting the attatchment. You wont be sorry:D

4. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

get an exteneded reach gas trimmer. No more ladders.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

wouldn't even consider an electric anything too many cords to deal with.

6. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

GAS! You're not restrained by the cord.

7. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Gas!!!

If you eat lots of beans, you can find a way to harness natural gas enegry and use it in your trimmer! (Sorry I had to say that Jodi :D I'm wooped today)

8. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

How much demand do you have for a trimmer? Stay away from electric. Like others have said, the cord is a PITA. Go with a two-sided gas trimmer. maybe check ebay or other used equipment places. I used the one sided gas trimmer once and couldn't stand it. hope this helps.

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

No brainer- gas. Unless you want to carry a generator around to run electric clippers.

10. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

Little Wonder has an extended reach gas hedgetrimmer that is a beauty. You can use the extra shaft for an extended reach hedgetrimmer or take out that shaft for a short reach hedgetrimmer. Both work great. The hedgetrimmer head rotates 180 degrees unlike most of the others on the market that only rotate one direction 90 degrees.