1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hedge Trimmer Lubricant

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ehmalexan, Jan 2, 2010.

1. ehmalexan

ehmalexan LawnSite Member
    from Zone 7

What do you use as to lubricate the sheers on your hedge trimmers? In the past i have used WD40 however, I have found it seems to stress the plant material. Thanks and Happy New Year!

2. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using WD40 or Walmart brand spray. I haven't noticed whether it stresses the shrubs. I also spray my hand shears.

3. mikeg1005

mikeg1005 LawnSite Member

4. BCofDayton

BCofDayton LawnSite Member

Fluid Film is well worth the $$ just about any John Deere retailer carries it

5. santafe

santafe LawnSite Member

what do you all think of using chain saw bar oil for the hedge trimmer?

6. a plus bob

a plus bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Fluid Film even says on can safe for plant material.Cant beat it.Thumbs Up I bought the brush can applies on trimmers good.

7. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Fluid Film here too, it does not hurt any plant material. And it has so many other uses also!

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we have always used wd40, but may consider switching to fluid film. we have never had detrimental effects from the wd40, but then again i am sure it has everythig to do with the plant material being trimmed

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I've always thought of WD40 more as a solvent, than a lubricant. For lubrication I've gone with Transmission Fluid, but Fluid Film is probably 'made' for this type of use.

10. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Olive Oil to avoid plant burn (phytotoxicity)