Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
I maintain the hedges of a large entrance way to a subdivision. It's a really big job. What is the best lube I can use on my trimmer blades that will not damage the plants. I do know you have to stay away from petroleum based products. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
585 Posts
Lawngator

Last year we used chain saw chain oil.I'm pretty shure it did not harm the hedges I worked on.I dont see why this type of oil would harm the hedge becouse that oil is used for trimming trees.With my hedges I have never harmed any of them,and I'm pretty shure that type of oil will not harm your hedges.I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure it won't hurt anything.

Hope this helps!

AB Lawn Care

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The saw oil could ruin the trimmer blades since its sticky and the dirt will gum up the blades.

I give mine a shot of wd-40 if its dry out, otherwise I like to trim hedges when theyre wet, lubes the blades just fine.

My echo hc-2000 is 8 years old and the same blade, I just sharpen it once a year.

Bill

G

·
Call a food service equipment dealer and ask for some type of lubri-plate. It is USDA approved for use in food processing plants, so it should be safe for hedges.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
How about using PAM cooking spray? That should work without worrying about any damage to the plants. My set has a grease fitting for the tranny, but doesn't really lube the blades. I haven't tried PAM but you made me think, I have also been keeping mine sprayed with WD-40.

Homer

G

·
I think one of those tree branches may have fallen and hit Cletus on the head.":)"

----------
Mike's Lawn Service

·
447 Posts
Hello Everybody:

This is a very good topic because some people can go a little overboard lubricating blades on hedge clippers. It can hurt if you use to much.

At first we used WD-40 but I had a employee get carried away with it & did some damage to some Yopon Hollies (sorry If I misspelled it). So I tried to figure out what to use. I wanted to stay away from oils with petro in it & guess what Homer was right Pam was the choice, LOL I liked it because it was in a spray & that made it easy to use.

WD-40 is fine if you are using it sparringly, if you have a doubt wipe it off with a rag. If you are paying people to do it opt for Pam.

The other problem is them adjusting the blades, if properly done even using 8 to 10 hour days just lube 1 or 2 times a day is all you need. Make sure they know what they are doing when adjusting the blades. I've seen plenty come in & can't even move the blades at all. Or they were just tight enough to burn up the clutch.

I now have a shop & the No.1 reason they come in for repair is someone didn't know the proper way to adjust the blades. 9 times out of 10 they are adjusted too tight.

----------
GrassMaster - Have a nice day!!!!! Home Page http://www.lawnservicing.com
Visit my new browser Start Up Page http://www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.