1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hedge Trimmer Recomendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by ArTurf, Sep 22, 2017.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

I'm in the market. I've used Stihl in the past and while they are OK I feel there's better out there. Actually leaning toward Tanaka.

Any thought or experiences appreciated.

2. BJWLAWNCARE

BJWLAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I use all of these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a couple of each. If I had to pick one it would be The M254. This way you could add a lot to it. brooms, chainsaws, trimmer, etc.

hort101 likes this.
  3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

My kawi smaller trimmer is still running but I also have the redmax mid and the trimmer head I put on my ebz3050 when needed. Love the redmax mid. Sorry don't remember model #. Runs around $550ish. It's a beast.

Edit... Srtz2460 I think is the mid model #.

4. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I won't buy echo anymore, my stihl equipment starts first pull even if it sat for a few days.

Grassholes and ltdlawn like this.
  5. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Best priced is the Stihl hs46 it comes 2 year commercial. I also have hs56c and their like $40 more but will cut a little thicker stuff. I had some carb problems with 56 at first but it's fine now that it's been repaired.
    I just couldn't buy stuff in the $200 range and $500 was a bit too pricey.
    Dual cutting blades are a must.

Grassholes and JLSLLC like this.
  6. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

i only do about 15 hedge / shrub trimming jobs per year so im no expert . but i bought the about exact same unit below 8 years ago and i really like both the length which is perfect all around length that can be used for small bushes to tall deep hedges . and i like the handles which give me a real good grip on it , and the balance . if it was longer it'd be too long , if shorter not as valuable an all around tool . i guess ide say i wish this had more power at 23cc , but then again it'd make it heavier and running these extendeds over head and ecspecially reaching outward on ladders wears on the shoulders alot . http://www.redmax.com/products/hedge-trimmers/srtz2460f/

kemco likes this.
  7. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Silver Member

We do allot of hedges. Gave up all trimmers eXcept the Long Pole Variety. You get good w/one you can do Everything from tight and short to tall and long Faster.

Dont care about the articulation. Just Slows you down

SHC266 my favorite right now

redmax fan likes this.
  8. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from USA

I have used Redmax and Kawasaki 24" hedge trimmers. Kawasaki had a scored piston after 1 year, but was light and well balanced while I still had it. Redmax is alright too, but started to rev out of control sporadically in August, only 2 yrs old too, will have to fix.

Have a Shindaiwa multi tool with extended articulating too, no issues...

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

go battery powered.

10. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

ide add that years ago here there was some big hedge trimmer threads here and what i gathered from alot of guys is that many companys world wide that do alot of hedges run shindiawa . i think one thing that was said was its gear box lasts the longest . dont remember all the details but i came away from that thread thinking shindiawa was best , but who knows how there being made nowadays