Lawn Care Forum banner

hedge trimmers

2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  jaguar4000 
#1 ·
looking to buy gas hedge trimmers looking for quality price dont matter willing to pay for good quality. thanks for help

#2 ·
Stihl seems to be a good trimmer. :drinkup:

#6 ·
echo all the way. I bought the shindawa comparable to the echo 1500... i wanted to return it the very next day. I prefer my echo which is 4 years old over the brand new shindawa that i bought. Also, the "commerical" model that shindawa makes is a freakin' tank, try holding those things all day trimming bushes.

Echo!

#8 ·
I absolutely love the Tanakas. I have three 2100's, and if they are kept sharp, they will devour anything. I have no need for the bigger "cc's" trimmers that weigh more.

Also (assuming you are right-handed), be sure to buy one with the exhaust port on the RIGHT side so you won't be choking on the exhaust fumes.

#10 ·
Postman, I've used different makes, and they've all worked okay. Do pay attention to the weight issue if you are planning on doing quite a bit of work.

Likestomow's comment about the exhaust port makes sense. I've used handheld leaf vacs that tend to blow the exhaust up into your face. After a short period of time you feel the effects.

One feature I really like is an articulating handle that will turn 90 degrees. By having the handle turn, you then don't have to contort your arms sideways to trim vertical sides of hedges or shrubs.

#11 ·
I've used Echo, Little Wonder, Sthil, Tanaka. Liked the Little Wonder the best, very few problems. Echo next. The Tanaka, when it actually did run was good at cutting, just took every dealer in town too long to get parts. Sthil sat in the middle. Tanaka was a double side and all the rest long single sides.

#13 ·
I would highly recommend Echo. Have the 1600 double sided and it is about 15 yrs old. Still runs strong as ever but the exhaust fumes are getting a little strong when it gets hot now. Will probably replace w/ a new one soon- either 1500 or another 1600. I know the exhaust fumes are just due to the mega hours I have on them. Has many hrs on it as I used it commercially for at least 6 yrs before I got out of the biz. No telling how many hrs I have on them. We use them year round here in central Florida. Also had a pair of 1500's that I sold to my partner that bought half of my lawn business. I have had such great luck with Echo that I it is the only 2 cycle equip I run. Just purchased a stick edger and an Echo earth auger w/ 10" bit. Cannot vouch for the others but you can't go wrong w/ Echo. Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.