Lawn Care Forum banner

hedge trimming est. pricing Help needed

6K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  Greenlandscaping 
#1 ·
A customer referred me to this crazy property. I don't really want the job of hacking these hedges and shrubs back into shape but if i get it for top dollar than i'll consider doing it.

What would you charge from looking at the pics. to trim and cleanup the clippings?

How long would you expect it to take?

I have some idea of cost and time but this could be a nasty job and am no way going to risk under cutting myself.

thanks...

I got more pictures if anyone wants to see them... lol.

Plant Building Window Road surface House

Plant Building Window Road surface Asphalt

Plant Building Sky Leaf Road surface

See less See more
#27 ·
I got the mowing job for $150 max so i have to do it now.:dizzy: :)

submitted a price of $485 for all the hedge trimming but they didn't want to pay that now so maybe later on once things slow down a bit in July or August they will be interested but i'm actually kind of glad i didn't get it because its just hard lousy work and i don't have any time soon to do it.

Thanks guys for all the input and tips i'll get some after pics of the lawn once its cut.

#29 ·
well mabey they might go for it a little at a time do one every other week.
Thats not a bad idea but i first gotta get the lawn into shape and then we'll see. I not really chomping on the bit to wack them, got plenty of other work that needs to be done elsewhere.

#30 ·
Well i tackled this job in the blazing humid heat on Sat. Took a little less than 2 hours solo (1.75 hr. exact). Alot of junk including a Macy's bag with 3 unopened beers in it. Fill 2 of those green barrels with clippings and trash. First i went over the whole lawn with the trimmer, then the 21" mower, then trimmed again, raked twice and blowed. I could barely stand up striate and keep the mower from flipping, the hills is almost vertical in some places. I charged $150 and the lady paid me by check right on the spot before i was done. She told me i save her life and wants me back about every 2 weeks to cut it on a regular basis. I told her i don't really want to but she asked me not to let her down now. So it looks like for the time being i'll be cutting this place for $40 - $45 a service. The job came out alright, about the best you can do for such a difficult property.

a few pics.

Plant Property Road surface Land lot Building

Plant Natural landscape Land lot Tree Grass

Plant Plant community Shade Grass Shrub

Plant Plant community Land lot Shade Grass

#33 ·
#34 ·
These people want the work done asap but i can't get to it until everyone elses work that has already been schedualed is complete. If i wait longer then these place will just get worse.

I think that person meant to say 2 DAYS unless you got 10 guys working with you.

I was thinking in the $700 - $800 range even then its not going to be the most beautiful trim job because the things are so out of wack. Alot of hack work. At most it would take me 2 days to do it solo and around 3 truck loads. If i have a helper then i bet i could wack it out in a day.

I already have a price to hack down the lawn: $150 - $200. They seemed alright with the 150 when i was looking at the property but i didn't have estimate or signature on paper yet. They also want someone to cut the lawn biweekly.
Please, please stop right there! Wait a second here and lets think about this job. This is NOT a difficult job nor will there be any "hacking" required. Do you know how to properly trim shrubs to get them back into their original form?
They sure as heck do not look like they are that out of shape to me.
I see no ladder work other than from the sidewalk side to the top of that hedge.
Do you know that if you cut too much off these shrubs you will just see bare branches and they will look horrible? I suggest you do not hack but you just take off the overgrown outside edges to shape. This is a simple easy one day maximum job for one guy including mowing the lawn, loading,dumping the debris.
I would not make more work here for yourself when it is not necessary and charge around $300/$400 for it plus gas and dump fees. If you already gave the price of 150.00 for the lawn then add the 300/400 on top of that.
I must be seeing these pics differently than you are.WAIT Now I can see it better

#35 ·
I retract my first response I can see it better now. Working on a hill and more than I thought. Raise that price to 500/550 plus gas and dump fees. But still, there it will not be necessary to hack these shrubs down very far. Clean them up and head them back is all.

#36 ·
I retract my first response I can see it better now. Working on a hill and more than I thought. Raise that price to 500/550 plus gas and dump fees. But still, there it will not be necessary to hack these shrubs down very far. Clean them up and head them back is all.
THANKS

Well i was exaggerating when i said "hack" them. I was just trying to make the point that the have not been trimmed in a long time and need alot of attention. Yes i know it won't help or work to sheer them way back because if they are cut back below all the green leafs then the while not survive and look horrible. the leaves gather energy from the sunlight through photosynthesis which helps the grow. this is a decent sized job though because there are alot of shrubs and hedges. I would only cut off as much as safely possible. I did the lawn already but not the hedges.

#37 ·
One word for this job. Its fou bared

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.