1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Hedge Trimming Startup

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by YodaMouse, Sep 18, 2005.

  1. Soupy

    Soupy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,125

    I bet this guy wants to keep his hedge trimming, but just see's an opportunity to sub the work out and still make money. Calling him out might just get him back to doing them himself, or hiring someone else. The bottom line is, don't worry about what the other guy is making. Worry about what you need to make it worth your while and leave it at that. I wouldn't be acting like this guy owes you anything because he doesn't.

    Some of you guys act like you never heard of sub contracting. I think $30/hr is fair considering you do not have to do anything but supply tools and labor. Once you are in the business for awhile you will learn that this guy isn't just sitting back doing nothing.

    I do think you need to go up to at least $45/hr for customers you have to maintain on your own. This extra $15 will cover cost to obtain job, and office work etc. that this other guy is providing for you now.
  2. YodaMouse

    YodaMouse LawnSite Member
    Messages: 13

    Thanks for all the advice so far... It's given me prespective. I've decided to stick with the guy for now. However while I'm doing my route with him I'm going to dedicate one day a week scouting new accounts. I figure I should get somewhere eventually... This way I don't risk my steady income and have time to build up a better revenue source.

    On a side note, our friendly weather system--hurricane Rita--has blessed me with 3 hours of work in the soaking rain. While cursing my choice of occupation I wondered what lawn service guys do up in places like Montana and Vermont. I mean damn, it must get twenty below in the winters. Plus you've got to deal with the freezing rain and sleet in the fall.

    But then again, I guess you don't cut much grass with a foot of snow on your lawn...
  3. ArizPestWeed

    ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,457

    You do 2 homes , about , in one hour sometimes more .
    The actual trimming is about 10% of the time and clean up is the other 90% .
    I hated clean up , I had hispanics doing mine
  4. YodaMouse

    YodaMouse LawnSite Member
    Messages: 13

    I've followed people's advice and have started charging people much higher prices. And you know what? They're paying it! What I used to charge $15 for I now charge about $45. (The guy who's giving me the people on his route is still getting them at $15 a pop, but I'm going to phase him out as soon as I have a steady income.) People aren't even blinking when I hand them the invoice... Isn't it cool? payup

    I'm really amazed at how well I've done in the short time I've been in this business. I've pulled in $700 last week and I'm not even really working full time. I've tried so many businesses in the past--and failed so miserably--that I'm still holding my breath, waiting for disaster to strike. (CIA operatives are loading up their silenced MP5's, standing outside my door and laughing hysterically into their comm sets.) It feels weird to be making money without going insane with worry.

    I really have to thank everyone on this site, you've helped me immensely. I would still be working for $10 per hour if I hadn't talked to you guys.


  5. brucec32

    brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,403

    Can you drive to Atlanta? I can give you all the $15 shrub trimming jobs you can handle! : )

    You will grow old very fast if all you do all day is trim shrubs.
  6. YodaMouse

    YodaMouse LawnSite Member
    Messages: 13


    No problem, as long as the trimming jobs are all in the same general location and they don't involve weeding or more than 20 minutes of work.

    I literally go down a block and hit four or five houses in a row. Spruce creek, the gated community I do jobs in, has house piled on top of each other.

    But yeah, if I'm making $45 to $60 an hour, I'll pack up tonight and come do trimming for you. I'm 27 years old and have plenty of energy!!! :waving:



Share This Page