Hedge trimming?

smallstripesnc

LawnSite Senior Member
It seems I constantly get asked if I do any hedge trimming.

At this time I do not own a gas hedge trimmer but plan on getting on if its really needed.

Do any of you do hedge trimming? If so how much do you normally charge? Do you charge per hedge bush or what?

Sorry if its off topic I didn't see anywhere else I could really post this question.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i charge by the hour on those types of jobs. it's hard to charge by the bush because there's small bushes, medium sized, and large bushes so the time it takes for each bush will vary.

Landscape Poet

LawnSite Gold Member

At this time I do not own a gas hedge trimmer but plan on getting on if its really needed.

Do any of you do hedge trimming? If so how much do you normally charge? Do you charge per hedge bush or what?

Sorry if its off topic I didn't see anywhere else I could really post this question.
We have to generally do it year round at least once a month on many shrubs here so it is generally included in the price of monthly lawn service....however if they do not want it or call and they have not been trimmed in awhile when we take over the account...I do like what Jason is suggesting and charge rate of what I think it will take me in time to trim them and clean up any debris, ladder work involved means more money per hour. Hope that helps and learn how to properly trim and prune before you start please as you can do a lot of damage in a little amount of time, damage that can take years to outgrow if done incorrectly ...so study up first ok.

ralph02813

LawnSite Bronze Member

Generally, all my customers are full service, but I do charge by the hour I try my best to stay at $60.00/hr, I have a $30. minimum, but I only do it when I am there. And I do it when I think it is necessary, this past year around here, I did some bushes and hedges 4 times - I have convinced my folks that if I can do the whole yard in under a 1/2 they win.

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
You need to charge by the hour. Shrub's always take more time than you think. You can do a lot of damage fast. Make sure you know what you are doing. That pruning job is going to be around a while and be seen often. You can permanently injure your reputation if it look's bad.

OP
S

smallstripesnc

LawnSite Senior Member
Thank you for the advice.

I have done one job so far with the hand clippers and didn't hardly take anything off because I was afraid and didn't want to really screw anything up.

Is there any decent videos showing proper pruning? I'm a visual learner.

As you guys all said the last thing I want to do is screw up because I know it takes awhile to grow back. I know grass but hedges are a different animal for sure.