1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

hedge

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KerryB, Sep 5, 2001.

1. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone here ever planted leyland cypress for a hedge. If so I would appreciate your input. I have seen suggestions on planting anywhere from 30" apart on up. What is the best planting distance? I know these trees get very large that is not a problem. Just want the best distance apart and maybe from the property line for a nice thick hedge.

Also, I have searched and searched and maybe I overlooked this, and I know it is off this subject, but if anyone knows how many cubic ft are in a 40lb bag of cow manure or any conversion from pounds to yds of ft please let me know.
    Thanks to everyone here at lawnSite. I have learned so much in such a short time. It is so nice to have a place to go to share experience and knowledge. Thanks again everyone.

2. KerryB

Ok thanks to Pauls suggestion on another thread I moved this post to Arborsite. Thanks Paul.

3. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I don't know about leyland cypress for a hedge, I do know that because of improper planting distance a disease called botryospharia canker and Seridium canker may invade plant.
    When the Leylands are to close they rub together thus opening a wound. I would recommend planting them at the proper distance.
    hope this helps some.

4. KerryB

Thanks George, I didnt know about that. Around here all we tend to see are bag worms.