1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Hello, just joined

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ron mexico75, May 18, 2009.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

I came across this site by using google to research a walk behind. Anyways, this site looks awesome and seems to provide really really good information.

I got into landscaping/maintenance back in 1997. I worked full time for a company here in Richmond VA. Left got an office job and then had a small business on the side. After that I enrolled in an associate degree program studying horticulture/landscape design and worked at a nursery. I am now back in an office job but want to do side jobs as source of extra income. My wife got laid off from a job she had for 10 years in the financial industry.

I have an aerator that I still have from my side business and have been doing about 30 lawns each fall for the past 8 years. I am now going to start cutting maybe 6 to 8 lawns a week after work as a way to bring in a little extra income. I planned on using my John Deere rider I have had for years. Had it serviced recently because it hasn't been used in almost 4 years. Needless to say it cuts like garbage! Scalps everywhere. Had a J.D. tech come to the house and re level the deck because they never did it right when I brought it in 2 weeks ago. Still cuts like garbage so I put it on Craigslist.

I just applied for financing on a new 36" walk behind. It's an entry level model but I figure it will be better then using that rider and tearing yards up. I am purchasing an ExMark 36" fixed deck belt drive walk behind. The model # is M15KA362.

Anyways, this is my first post and that is my story. Any input on that mower choice is welcome.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. ron mexico75

wow , did I wear out my welcome already? :laugh:

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Look at the BOP website for mowers

4. Jordanfan20

Jordanfan20 LawnSite Member

I'm not an expert just a highschool student who has a fairly large business, but what I want to say is don't go out and purchase a brand new mower, its pointless. Used mowers are equally as good and you can buy a much better mower for the buck. Check out craigslist for mowers and even this site, don't waste your money. Hope this helps

5. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Nahh...definitely not. Especially since you have such an awesome avatar! Giants all the way baby! lol

You're probably talking about the Exmark Metro 36". If it is, that is a great mower. I have the 32" for backyards and it is a great machine. Good luck to you and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

6. ron mexico75

^^ thanks a lot Bill, like yours too! Unfortunately I'm in Redskin country down here. Yeah, its the Metro 36". I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. I should have it Thursday.

I have looked at used but with this type of machine I didn't want to gamble getting something for 1500 used and then have to put another 1000 or 1500 into it if something went wrong. I like the peace of mind having a warranty and knowing it hasn't been abused.

7. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck with the new mower...let me know how you like it.