Hello new with some questions.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JesseMoreira06, Jan 11, 2019.

1. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 LawnSite Member

Hello , I am new to this forum as well as to the whole lawncare business. I currently work a full time job but I've always enjoyed cutting lawns on the side (family members , neighbours), I now want to make an actual business out of it. I have done a lot of research lately , but still have a few questions as followed

1) Pick up truck or Van?
    2) Most important must have tools?
    3) What services should I offer given that I am technically new to this?

I am 24 years old , I have always wanted a business to call my own and now is the time. I am also from Canada , Quebec.

Thanks to everyone who can give me a helping hand with this, would be much appreciated.

2. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Well, if your not sure what services you should offer, what tools you have to have, or what vehicle to use, then I’d say maybe not try it full time just yet. Probably should work for a landscaper for a few years 1st to gain some experience. But since you asked,;

1. Truck. Way more versatile than a van
    2. Trimmer, blower, mower, edger
    3. Just mow, maybe add on some other services if you are successful with mowing.

Good luck!

3. JesseMoreira06

Thanks for the response
    I've done tons of research and new all the basic tools needed to get the job done , I was just making sure I had them all and wasnt missing anything of importance.

regarding the truck and van , I've read so much conflicting information some say truck some say van so again just wanted to make sure but I was leaning towards truck more any truck in particular ?

and diffinetly only doing this part time until I can grow it to full time , I am keeping my full time job until then.

I was thinking of adding mulching to the liste of services , cleaning leafs since I've done that already.

TrainingWheels likes this.
  4. Matthews Lawn Care

There are all kinds of tools in my box.
    Hedge trimmers, pruners, clippers, brush blades, chainsaw, polesaw, shovels, rakes, picks, bp sprayer, broadcast spreader, tape measures, skill saw, drills, sawzall, traps, tamper, hoe, sockets, wrenches, pliers, hammers, etc. I’m sure I’ve not listed some things as well. This is what’s in my truck/trailer daily.

Truck vs van depends on your biz model.

Any truck that runs, has a bed, and looks decent will work just fine. Again, this depends on your biz model. I run a 2001 F250.

Research is great but experience is better. I’d highly suggest working for a landscape co for a few years. Figure out how the biz itself flows plus hands on experience in the field.

I’m sure you’ve seen the threads on here. Many try, only a few are succesful with it longterm.

5. JesseMoreira06

Thanks , I may sound crazy but I'll take my chances , worst case scenario it does not work out I still have my full time job. This is something I want to grow slowly and learn through my own experiences I guess in a sense. Do you advertise you're company ? like Business cards, Door flyers , shirts and or Stickers on truck?

I've found a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE with 140,000km and it cost 4,900$cnd (roughly 3 ,700$ USD) or a Dodge Dakota SLT with 140,000km 5,500$CND ( roughly 4 200$ USD) and or a 2006 FORD F150 XLT with 140,000km 5 800$ (roughly 4,000$). What do you think?or should I keep looking?

6. Matthews Lawn Care

Of course I advertise. Website, biz listings, cards, truck, etc. It’s a business that I plan to keep in business.

The truck depends on your biz model, same with equipment. A 1/2 ton isn’t going to pull a lot of weight without consequences, keep that in mind. If your going to dabble in mulch, landscape, etc. More trips to the supply store = less efficiency/productivity which = less $ in your pocket.

Why start something and even consider it failing? This is exactly why people don’t make it in this industry.

Failure to plan is planning to fail. Before buying anything, you need to develop a business plan. What is your target customers, services, biz image, etc. Then purchase the stuff you need to cater to these customers.

I hear it all the time “there is no $ in mowing”. There’s not if your just getting $20 lawns and have 0 knowledge about turf. Unless you live in your parents basement with minimal bills.

You’ll get out of it whatever you put into it. Give a half-a$$ effort, get half-a$$ results.

7. JesseMoreira06

I do want to "dabble" in landscape more of the simpler things like mulching but not yet getting involved with step stones ect..

Oh I think you got the wrong impression , I am in no way concindering failing, I am fully motivated to gets this going , I was more saying that because you wrote " I’m sure you’ve seen the threads on here. Many try, only a few are succesful with it longterm".

My plan is mowing , edging, mulching , trimming , cleaning the leafs, flower planting/removal. I have built ponds in the past but don't think I have enough experience just yet for that . My target customers is anything I could get , but more so residential. I will be going door to door putting door hangers, I will go into local businesses asking them if I can leave my business card at the front cash , Internet promotion such as Kijiji ( same like craigslist but Canadian), I haven't looked into building a website just yet thought.

I am fully committed and feel confident in my ability to get this going.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Matthews Lawn Care

That’s a good attitude to have but I wouldn’t go after anything you can get. Since your just doing it part time and not relying on it for income, this would be a great time to actively target a specific customer base. Do you want the people looking for the cheapest company, those looking for a full service company, residential, commercial or the highend elite lawn customers? There are more types of customers out there but the best thing to do is decide who your target customers are. You can still take lawns outside your target base in the beginning but you’ll be building the biz(equipment, image, etc.) to attract your target customers.

There are tons of free marketing. Craigslist, Facebook, google, bing, manta, etc.

9. JesseMoreira06

Would you get all the necessary stuff first before sending out business cards , flyers ect.. and see how many potential clients you get or get the tools and truck before anything?

10. Matthews Lawn Care

Well, what are you going to do if you sell abunch of biz and have no tools to do the job?

What are you going to do if you buy abunch of tools and make no sales?

Which came 1st, the chicken or the egg?

I would do whatever costs the least amount of $ if it doesn’t pan out.

JesseMoreira06 likes this.