Hello new with some questions.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JesseMoreira06, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Anything commercial will be good. Brand, color, etc. is just a personal preference. I go with whichever dealer treats me the best.

TrainingWheels likes this.
  2. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 LawnSite Member

Mow n go for now atleast. Stick to the original plan with mow n go with a few extra things here and their that's my biz.

Do you consider a 5HP with 24" wide a commercial mower?

Do you mind me asking how long babe you've been in business for? also what do you do during winter months?

3. Matthews Lawn Care

I hear good things about the Honda 21”.

Full time like 5 years. I did it part time like 3 years and before that I just did it as a hobby. I grew up on a farm and own 20 acres myself.

My buddy’s dad owned a lawn biz all through highschool that we worked for in the summers. Used to mow growing up for extra cash, like most. Been involved with agriculture pretty much my whole life(I’m 34 so take that with a grain of salt). I was a salesman in the uniform biz and that’s where I really learned the biz side of things(sales,routes,customer service, etc.). Once I got tired of that career I decided to build my own biz. Went back to an 8-5 in logistics and started slowly building my biz. That’s pretty much it in a nutshell.

4. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you mean 3000 sq foot? I am on the west coast on Vancouver island, I am not into mowing but I know people who do. There is lawns which are only 300 sq foot but most around around a couple thousand including front and back.I worked for a guy in my area who was on the cheap end, I think he had some $20 lawns which is way too low for anything. Most were probably $30. But even as a 3 person crew we could only do 4 an hour, even if the lawns were $40, which most definitely were not, its still not very good, $53.33 per man hour.

I know companies who charge $20-35 per lawn in my market and get lots of work, they dont have nice equipment, or can afford to live in nicer areas. I also know guys who have $45 minumums for even a 200 sq foot lawn, and they do very well also and stay busy, they have nice equipment and logos, nice websites. These are the types of guys who know what they are doing and actually researched (lawn site, business courses), had a good teacher, or failed a few times in the business.

Remember you see guys here talking about their prices, you can use as references, but the quality of life per dollar is a bit better in most places in the US. If you live in Vancouver ($2m for a decent house), $75/man hour is probably the minimum you could get by on, but if you live in a small town in Manitoba (where you can get a decent house for $200k) its obviously a bit different

Dont feel bad if you fail. It took me 2 tries before I got the right mindset. Sometimes it takes failure to set you on the right path. 24 you still have lots of time to screw up.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  5. Matthews Lawn Care

I hunt,fish,relax, etc. in the winter. I try to do anything other than work. Sometines a project will come up and get me out of hibernating but for the most part just enjoy the time off. Spend a lot of time repairing my body and getting it back in shape for the next season. It’s the most valuable tool I have.

hort101 and JesseMoreira06 like this.
  6. Mitty87

How big are the lots you deal would be working on? Lot sizes in my town are 2000 sq feet to 20,000 within the suburbs, most are around 5-7k, lawn area usually less than half. Nobody uses anything larger than a Honda push mower, with the few exceptions. They cost around $13-1500.

hort101 likes this.
  7. JesseMoreira06

Thank you. Oh my bad , I made a huge mistake ot was diffinetly supposed to be 3000sq ft , 4000sq ft , 5000sq feet ect.. Your typical home is roughly 7000sq feet. Typical homes in our area range from 5000-7000 sq ft and then you have the "rich" area which are much larger just checked online houses that are up for sale in my area which show the sq ft. I live specifically in Canada , Quebec , Saint-Hubert which is the suburbs of Montreal.

What we consider here a good paying job would be in the high 20's an hour, our minimum salary is at 12$ an hour, the average person makes roughly 16$ an hour. Where I am currently working I am making 18$ an hour.

my issues are I would have to compete with other established companies which means matching their prices at the minimum from what I see a 5000 sq feet land goes for about 40$.

8. Mitty87

You will figure out if $40 works for you. Look up old posts on here about knowing your costs, then you will figure out how much you need per hour. Remember to include every little thing, paper and pens, your time sorting receipts and doing estimates etc all counts.

You don't need to match prices in this business. Not every client is going to be looking for the cheapest price, nor will most call more than a couple companies. Some will try to tell you they had it done for $20, dont waste time with those people. Like I said, guys in my market of 100,000 people get lots of work at $20 per average lawn, while there are guys at $45-50 per average lawn and still get a lot of work. Its not always about money

Look presentable and drive a clean vehicle, make a nice business card and website (square space is easy to DIY and make it look close to professional for $150) Be on time, polite and you will find you get the prices you need to make a good living. You will face a lot of rejection but you get used to it quick. I will never negotiate on price or give in to someone who tells me "so and so will do it for X", there is a reason they haven't already hired So and So.

hort101 and JesseMoreira06 like this.
  9. JesseMoreira06

Thanks a lot , given that you're from Vancouver are weather is quite similar how many times a year do you mow a "regular" client grass given that you're doing it once a week?

10. Mitty87

I am in Nanaimo, on Vancouver island, it's a 1.5 ferry ride from Vancouver. I've seen job postings in Vancouver for Irrigafion techs starting at $30 and landscapers at over $20/hr. Cost of living over there is ridiculous. ~$250" for one bedroom where here it's $1000.

Anyway, we didn't get any snow this year, just a few cold days. Cutting can start in the end of February and goes until end of November or early December. I worked for companies that did bi weekly. The best advice you will see here is try to only do weekly clients. If they insist on biweekly make sure to charge more. If you have full schedule of weekly clients, biweekly can make it difficult.

This is our 3rd year and will be expanding to mowing. I bet our prices would be similar for the same size lots.

Since you don't know exactly how long these lawns will take, you will have to do a littl trial and error to figure out where you need to be price wise.

Also, figure out your costs and how much you want to make. You are probably going to need to make at least $55/hr, but most likely more.

Good luck

JesseMoreira06 likes this.