Help a homeowner Kohler oil leak.....Mr Piston Slapper or any other Lawnsite Guru

XB 2002

LawnSite Member
I have a 2003 Kohler 23 HP CH23 Horizontal shaft engine on my Exmark Lazer Z with 600ish hours on it and it has developed a oil leak somewhere near the bottom of the engine. Does not appear to be the oil filter or rear main seal. Maybe the crankcase ?
I have attached a few pics. Any help is appreciated.

XB 2002
IMG_3735.JPG
IMG_3736.JPG

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
Maybe the crankcase ?
]

Maybe.......:)

It's been a while since I've had to work on our 2 Kohlers, a CH 25 and CH 740. I'm thinking that Kohler dose not use a gasket on the base/sump to the crank case.......

What I would do is get a few cans of brake clean and start cleaning, then run the engine and look for where the leak is coming from, just to verify it is coming from the back of the crank case.....(Sump if this was on a horizontal engine :) )

If you have compressor, even better.....

Couple of things that have worked for me. Torque all the bolts back to spec. Use a Torque wrench Thumbs Up

The crankcase is made out of aluminum, you if do it by hand, you might strip out the threads...then you would have to heil-coil it :oops:

The other was to take the sump off, use some red hi temp rtv gasket maker and slap it back on......

OP
XB 2002

XB 2002

LawnSite Member
Much thanks for your response Mr Breez and special thanks for Mr Dutch1 for his advice. I got lucky turns out my oil filter has a small leak...… I feel dumb but oh so happy. Kohler lives on.

XB 2002