Help!--Buying mower need advice--[Please]

maxxx77

LawnSite Member
Some of you know me from my Z915E I been trying to make ride better--Some things I did helped but not enough,, So from what I been reading the front mount Grasshopper with a air-ride Grammer might do trick??

Found a Grasshopper 725k G2 61” cut 25hp kohler commercial zero turn mower with 750hrs for $3700?? Photos look good guy says it good to go?? But is a ways away from me and has G2 hydros.

Also a 1998 721D with 1120hrs for $4200--Hydro dont know?

Is there that much difference in those hydros like I read about? What are T-6 drives??

There is another 721D with 1220hrs with those Gimme drives for $4000 with bagger??

My back is very bad and if all this dont work I,m done mowing, I had 2 JD stand-up mowers which were great for my back but this year my knees decided to go south also so was told to get off those mowers, I think I have the Z915E sold today cause cant buy another till then.

So any advice will be helpfull,,

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
Is this personal use or business?

If personal, pay someone to do it for you. Being in pain is not worth it. Running a business that kills your body is not worth it.

Jmcculler

LawnSite Senior Member
I feel like I’m always saying the same thing in these threads. Go check out Ferris.
If you can't make the JD ride well enough, I agree, check out ferris. If the ferris don't do it for you nothing will. I may have a 3200z for sale in the near future, have not really decided on selling it or keeping it as a backup mower. There has to be somewhere around that would let you demo a ferris or simplicity with suspension to try it out before you buy one.
This is the one I may sell. 650hrs, 61" cut, 37hp EFI Vanguard with Oil Guard. But like I said, strongly considering keeping it for a backup and have not looked at the market to price it yet.
Where are you located?

Last edited:
OP
M

maxxx77

LawnSite Member
Thanks--I,m in Michigan [southern] by ohio,,,I mow a few lawns and am retired but need little extra income--I wear a back brace when mowing and those standups were great but now knees,,,, Take pain meds last 18 years --That ferris looks real nice [never road one] I know they have to ride better than that deere I have but how much? I seen one guy put an air seat on a ferris and said it was great?
Seems like there expensive? Even used----guess I should find one to test?
I did just find GH in Indiana for $4500 2006 with 650hrs with kubota Gas and G2 has a suspension seat on it also??

Jmcculler

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks--I,m in Michigan [southern] by ohio,,,I mow a few lawns and am retired but need little extra income--I wear a back brace when mowing and those standups were great but now knees,,,, Take pain meds last 18 years --That ferris looks real nice [never road one] I know they have to ride better than that deere I have but how much? I seen one guy put an air seat on a ferris and said it was great?
Seems like there expensive? Even used----guess I should find one to test?
I did just find GH in Indiana for $4500 2006 with 650hrs with kubota Gas and G2 has a suspension seat on it also??
There is no way to beat 4 wheel independent suspension, I even keep the suspension seat turned all the way down on my new one because its unessesary. Yes they are that good. Good enough patten to make JD come out with twills and flex forks to try and keep up and they still don't compare. When the patten runs out im sure other manufacturers will start coming out with this type of suspension setup on their machines. Its going to be your best bet at finding a machine that works with your back issues, if you can't cut on a ferris there is no need to continue looking. Just my opinion. Wish you was closer, I would let you run mine just to find out. Hopefully there is a dealer that can help you out pretty close just to see if it works for you. Then you can start looking for a used machine on the market more in your price range.

OP
M

maxxx77

LawnSite Member
ok--you convince me--I found this one== 61" Ferris mower only 640 hr. 25hp Kawasaki has suspension seat also,,for $4600? I also notice that all ferris with suspension are not same?? Some have true independent suspension and others have a shock on each end of the front axle?? Not true independent. I take it that this is not as good as the other? it is a 2000Z model

Jmcculler

LawnSite Senior Member
Some of the lower end models like the 400 and 600 only have an axle with shocks on it, yes. I would be looking for the ones that has the independent front, like the 3200z. The isx models have even better suspension with the forefront suspension system but its just a couple years old. Also, you have to be a little caution depending on the year. The first ferris I bought was a 2008 model and the hour meter only calculated pto hours. Kinda deceiving but I think it was remedied shortly after 2008. You would be happier with a larger engine on a 61", with the suspension you are dealing with a heavier machine and the drive system does take a little more power.

OP
M

maxxx77

LawnSite Member
Thank you very much--I was thinking on going to look at this??--https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/325230788514040/?surface=product_details

About 130 miles from me but looks ok???

Jmcculler

LawnSite Senior Member
Looks pretty clean. Doesn't have the icd deck on it so make sure to cut some grass with it and see how it does, I have no experience with that one. Did they say what year model it is?