1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help. Chalky White Dust killing grass...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by SeatTime, May 13, 2004.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime LawnSite Member

About a week ago I noticed a white chalky substance clinging to the individual blades of grass around a section of my lawn...about 10-12 feet diameter. Yesterday, I noticed the grass is still covered with this "chalk" and large portions of grass have turned yellow and died. This area is a ways back from my "normal" dog walking route so I didn't really notice the progressing damage. I figure there's no reversing it now, but what is it and how do I fix the problem. If I walk on it will I spread it via my shoes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. threeputts

threeputts LawnSite Member

i think its a fungus. i heard that you could fertilize and it helps kill it. im sure a fungucide will kill it.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

More than likely it is Powdery Mildew.

4. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

Grassmechanic is probabaly correct...its powdery mildew. Use a fungicide to kill and keep your yard mowed a slight bit higher than usual.

5. PestPro

PestPro LawnSite Member

I have a lawn care service but I am finding lots and lots of mushrooms in my yard, I have heard that having mushroom means you have a fungus in the dirt. Should I call my lawn care service back and have a retreat done?

6. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Are you overwatering your lawn? Are you watering late at night? Try changing your watering cycles and times.