1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help Clutch Replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BradK HPLD, Jul 16, 2017.

1. BradK HPLD

BradK HPLD LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    I am trying to replace the clutch on my Wright Stander w/ Kawasaki FS600V. The previous owners must have really cramped the bolt on and I can't get it off. I need a way to secure the flywheel. When I have a ratchet on the fly wheel bolt it comes loose and the clutch bolt won't budge. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

I use my air impact, but since you ain't got one...
    It's gonna be a pita. Ferget the flywheel bolt.
    Ya gotta figure out a way to wedge the flywheel against a lug or something substantial on the block using a prybar, etc. Might could go from the ring gear to a part of the frame if ya have a long bar. Wood ain't gonna get it. Be best with two people, one up top and one workin' the clutch bolt.
    Anyways, then ya gotta smack yer breaker bar/socket ( or ratchet), that's on the clutch bolt with a hammer CCW.

I would strongly suggest you find a way to hook up with somebody that has an air gun.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    TrainingWheels likes this.
  3. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member

Air or electric impact as said. It'll getem off every time

4. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

Just to add, there may be Loctite on the bolt. You'll need about 400-500 degrees of heat. Propane torch on the bolt head will do. DO NOT, (even though the torch might not be able to) heat to a reddish color.
    Lock that flywheel and heat should get it loose.

5. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

Electric impact tools are as handy as cell phones to a DIY. Unless you have a compressor large enough to power a good gun, every L/S should have one on the truck.
    A short instruction period is manditory LOL

TrainingWheels likes this.
  6. JagT20N

JagT20N LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from will county Il

get a peice of 1-1/2" angle or 2" angle about 3-4' long ( longer is better) and drill holes that coraspond to the fan holes on the flywheel top and bolt it on ( make sure you run the bolts with washers ( get some better grade gr 5 sae or 8.8 metric and longer , take one with to get bolt thread match as it might be metric) down so the bar is tight against the flywheel and doesn't move,or bend the bolts ) and use it as a lever to prevent movement and buy a electric impact from Horror freight ( one of these https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-heavy-duty-electric-impact-wrench-61173.html ) its a cheap but usefull item to have around the house/shop even if you use it once or twice it saves in strained /torn muscles . also make sure the bolt isn't left handed as some are to prevent loosening when the engine runs .

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  7. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you turning the bolt in the right direction?

8. TrainingWheels

TrainingWheels LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, don't use it on your edger! :)

That was a 85.00 lesson and a 2 week wait:D

We keep ours in the box with all the tools and take it out with us each trip add a floor jack and you're back on the road in 15 min. We use Rigid pretty cheap and easy to get the warranty exchanges at any HD. Stay away from the HF impact sockets they've only lasted about a year.

@BradK HPLD uh take it to your mechanic they'll get it off for you in a jiff

BR,

~TW

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Do not try to jam the flywheel with prybars, wedges or other tools. Guarantee you will bend something or crack the case . Agree with everyone else on impact. Electric works 95% of time with cheapies. My Milwaukee fuel puts out 1100ftlb and usually gets the job done. Hardly ever get the IR out anymore.

10. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

That ain't gonna work, here's why : The flywheel is held on by a bolt & washer that will interfere with the angle layin' flat/tight against the flywheel. Remove the bolt and ya risk jarring the flywheel loose /messing up the key. Not likely, but could happen, right?

Note to the OP :
    Be sure and tighten the flywheel bolt when yer done playin' around with the clutch. The book calls fer 41 ft lb, I generally go a bit tighter than that.