Help Deciding On New Mower

rlmlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm planning on buying a new mower for next season and I am having a hard time on deciding what direction to go in. I have a small company that is slowly growing. I currently run a older 48" great dane surfer and the can't stand using the side bagger and it ruts lawns very easily due to its small tire size. I'm a more high end service and not a quick mow, blow, and go operation. I'm looking at either a 61" zero turn scag or bobcat with a bagging system or getting a walker gths. I do bag all my lawns during the season and realize that while the walker is slower, it does do a better job at bagging and stripping(and is a money maker on cleanups). This would also allow me to not have to double cut like I do with a zero turn(since it stripes and cuts nicely on one pass). So I feel that it would come close on time single cutting with a walker than double cutting with a zero turn. Now my property sizes range from 3 smaller lawns where the 48" would be more beneficial, to 12 larger lawns in the acre range. Now I plan on trying to advertise and pick up more lawns on the smaller range (1/4 - 1/2 acre) since these are the size properties that are closer to my house, which some may not be to small for a 61" mower. I'm just looking on some input on what mower you think would be more beneficial and productive for my type of operation.
Thanks. Ryan

I_am_a_beginner

LawnSite Member
I would try to advertise and sign new customers before buying top quality mower. Its easy to buy stuff but if you want to do good for a living, you have to justify every purchase with good reasons not just I would like to have this or this. You should get new customers and buy what you really need without blocking future grow. You could check at some good used mowers that could really fit your current and future needs at craiglist/ebay.

Walker=u got to have a lot of clean up to justify this lind of stuff $$$$$

If you plan on targeting smaller lawns I would pick the zero turn that fit this kind of needs.

My 0,02$ :))
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
rlmlandscape

rlmlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
Let me say before this thread goes any further to answer about the mower not about how many clients I have. I have done very very well for myself in my first year and know that I can afford the new mower next year even if I only stay at the amount of lawns that I have now. And I do not like buying used since I have had poor luck buying used equipment. Id really just like some input on which mower people feel would be beneficial to my operation z turn or walker. Thanks for your input.

I_am_a_beginner

LawnSite Member
To justify buying a Walker you really have to use it all week long + a s.hit load of clean ups, leaf clean ups and stuff.

If you buy a new mower without increasing your amount of accounts, you will lose income thats why I told you get new customers. Otherwise I would stay away from top brands/models. You work to make the maximum $$$
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
rlmlandscape

rlmlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
I dont understand why I would need to have a walker busy all week compared to a zero turn that cost the same amount of money. A walker goes for around 11k and zero turn with a large bagging system goes for about the same. I understand where you coming from about "loss of income", but right now I am not happy with the quality of my mower. That being said I feel that I will be at enough customers this year to keep me going 3-4 days a week with me also doing other jobs the other weekdays. I'm just trying to get some input from guys who have owned both and get some pros and cons of running one or the other.

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
I'd go with a Scag ztr with belt driven bagger kit. They will cut the lawn clean in one pass and stripe VERY well. Cut and bagged on a 1/4 acre lot.

RTR Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm a Scag guy all the way, but if you're bagging 100% of the time I'd get a Walker. By the time you put a bagging system on a Scag you'll be close to the cost of a Walker. Scag is certainly a better made mower with less maintenance but Walkers bag better than any mower.

appalachianoutdoors

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm planning on buying a new mower for next season and I am having a hard time on deciding what direction to go in. I have a small company that is slowly growing. I currently run a older 48" great dane surfer and the can't stand using the side bagger and it ruts lawns very easily due to its small tire size. I'm a more high end service and not a quick mow, blow, and go operation. I'm looking at either a 61" zero turn scag or bobcat with a bagging system or getting a walker gths. I do bag all my lawns during the season and realize that while the walker is slower, it does do a better job at bagging and stripping(and is a money maker on cleanups). This would also allow me to not have to double cut like I do with a zero turn(since it stripes and cuts nicely on one pass). So I feel that it would come close on time single cutting with a walker than double cutting with a zero turn. Now my property sizes range from 3 smaller lawns where the 48" would be more beneficial, to 12 larger lawns in the acre range. Now I plan on trying to advertise and pick up more lawns on the smaller range (1/4 - 1/2 acre) since these are the size properties that are closer to my house, which some may not be to small for a 61" mower. I'm just looking on some input on what mower you think would be more beneficial and productive for my type of operation.
Thanks. Ryan
I would suggest a exmmark 48" hydro wb electric start with a track vac system. Easy to remove vac system when not needed, but also can be used to vac out landscapinvwhen needed. This will handle your small yards and the larger yards without too much effort.
:usflag: