1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Help deciding plow type

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by deere615, Apr 15, 2007.

1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Chevy 2003 silverado 4x4 4.8 V8 is this an ok truck for plowing. I wont have many accounts next winter probably 1 commercial account and a few residential accounts. My truck has a snow plow prep package(stronger front springs, bigger alternator etc.) What would be the best plow? I was leaning towards Western and Meyer. Any opinions or ideas?

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Central NY

The best thing I could tell you is to ask around your area for the supplier with the best service. We have vendors here that sell all brands, but we have a local guy that will drop what he's doing, whether its 3 in the afternoon or 3 in the morning to come and fix your plow problem. He could sell any brand out there, and I'd still buy from him! Luckily, I haven't had any major issues, but I know of one pump that got changed at 3 in the morning this winter. Saved a bunch of down time, kept the guy going, and kept his customers happy!
    That said, I have a Western Pro Ultra Mount, and I love it!

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I swear by fisher plows myself

4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

it would certainly help to know if yoru truck is a 1500 or 2500 HD. i run meyers, they are perfect except the pumps are fairly weak. i have a spare pump for 2 plows. if you have a 1500, fishers may be a bit heavy for it but not bad plows. go for the best deal and how close your dealers are.

5. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i would assume he has a 1500 because of the 4.8, but i dont think you can get a snow plow prep on a half ton truck, so im confused. Id look at the blizzard 760 for a 1500. I ran one this past year with zero problems on about 20 residentials and 5 commercials accounts. The plow weighs like 550lbs so it saves a few pounds over most other companies.

6. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

7. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Thats good too know I always heard bad things about Meyers but I always liked them. There are some Meyer dealers around me, I'll check them out. And yes it is a 1500 sorry

8. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like grassmanak said, I don't think you can get a snow plow prep on a half ton.:confused:

I have a Boss V that I've been very happy with, but it's too heavy for a half ton. I had a Meyer 7 1/2 ft. straight blade that I used on 2 different trucks, and I had 0 problems with it. Dealer support is and working hours are very important, or at least know of a hydraulic/hose shop that will get you running if you're to break down.

You should be able to get a descent deal on a plow this time of the year.

9. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

you will need timbrens, dont worry about cranking up your torsion bars, its not needed, it just leeds to other problems. i would look into the blizzard, mainly because of the weight issue.

10. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yes, you can get snow plow prep packages on 1/2 ton trucks...