Help. External main jet carb cap fell out.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by stonny9, Dec 7, 2017.

1. stonny9

stonny9 LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki fx600v. Took carb off to diagnose a sudden rough running during usage. Hole on top of carb where it appears the pressed in cap fell off. Internal rod goes straight down from hole to main jet. Causing a lean running condition confirmed with both old plugs and 2 brand new plugs used on one 5 min back yard.

Does anyone have a recommendation to reseal it permanently? JB Weld, etc would probably block the internal passage. I patched with duct tape. A new carb is $250 online otherwise I would have bought one of it was under 100. I now need to order a bowl gasket and probably add the 2 other carb gaskets for intake.

Hole on right of pic which is the air filter intake side.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yyj7eNkdsQ4djDog2

2. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

Got a dealer close? I almost positive the have a replacement for it.
    I remember they covered it in an update. You'll need all engine numbers.
    The carb part number is etched in the body.
    I have heard of generic welch plugs fitting.
    If you can find someone to help you for just a small part.
    Post the carb part number. When I get a chance, or maybe another dealer on here can take a look and get a part number,
    If the engine is running ok now, you must have it sealed fairly well.
    Keep an eye on it till fix CORRECTLY.

3. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

You can try these
    Single barrel carb SM plug 92066-2244 Lg plug 92066-2204
    Twin barrel carb SM plug 92066-7009 Lg plug 92066-0780

Google/YouTube for correct installation unless you know. They a expansion type plugs
    Might be a good idea to get a couple. Sometimes installation doesn't go as planned. LOL

4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Obviously a new welch plug is the correct way to fix it. I always use a very small amount of epoxo 88 ( or JB Weld) type epoxy on the edge of the disc prior to installing just about any welch plug.
    Another way to fix yer carb is to scuff up the alum. carb body around the hole ( ya gotta use a bit of cloth or something to stop grit from getting in hole/jet) then epoxy a scuffed up disc of metal ( I have actually used a penny) over the hole. Ya might could try grinding a nail head down to fit, then clip it off and epoxy it in place.

5. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

As usual, Ricky and Fishy are spot on!

I have used a brass plug that are in some of the Walbro carb kits for the small welch plug you are missing. I have a box of misc. parts like that that I have saved through the years, for this very reason.

However, since the geniuses at Kawasaki finally made the welch plugs available as a separate part (Instead of forcing one to buy a complete carburetor) I have been using the Kawasaki plugs.

I would recommend getting the Kawasaki one as you need to order other parts as well. I would also recommend covering over the plug you replace as well as the existing to prevent them from leaking and or falling out again. They do need to be sealed and "air tight". For that I use JB Weld after being installed.

As Ricky said, post your ENGINE Model and Spec. Number off of the sticker on the engine to make sure you get the right parts. For example, FX600V-AS05-R, no need for the serial.

The bowl gasket should be 11061-7009, insulator gasket (2) (between carb and manifold) is 11061-7096 and gasket on intake elbow is 11061-7095... Post your engine numbers and someone will verify/correct those numbers for you.

Attached Files:

6. stonny9

My engine number is FX600V-CS06-R usually CS06 doesnt come up on parts sites. Thanks for the help. I didn't see a diagram earlier before I posted showing the Welch plugs as a desperate part.

7. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Your right, FX600V-CS06 does not come up... Is it on a Deere? Can you post a picture of the model tag?

8. stonny9

9. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, myself and most mechanics have an assortment of small carb parts, welch plugs etc. fer emergency use.
    Howsomever, seems the OP needed some improvised help asap. So...

10. stonny9

THANKS FOR THE HELP.

Paying USPS Priority shipping $14 instead of $8 plus $19 parts. No bowl gasket right now as it was dry and rotted and falling apart. Need one quick before it leaks on muffler right below. Also added some misc parts that I am missing from use.