1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help Figuring An Estimate

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dozerman21, Nov 30, 2006.

1. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, I've got a job that's bigger than most that I do. Here's what I'm looking at:

App. 84,500 SF that needs the sod stripped off and carried app. 50 yards to stock pile.

The lot is fairly level, however I do need to fill in some low spots and cut down some high spots that hold water, along with one corner that need a 5-6 loads of fill dirt (no charge on hauling the dirt, just to grade it). Nothing real major, I'm figuring it will take around 6 hours to get it pretty close using a dozer.

Harley Rake the entire area graded.

I would also like to know how much seed and straw I would need, and what to charge separate for that.

Thanks in advance!

2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use a mini skid steer for leveling.

Not sure about the cost of fill dirt, but the rule is double the cost for install, plus a transport fee of $ 45.00- $65.00 per hour. So if your dirt cost $15.00 per cubic yard, then to install would be $30.00. Or just charge the cost plus transport fee plus flat hourly rate for grading.

As for harley rake I charge by the acre and its my job to get it finished in a timely manner. This price includes seed and straw.

1/4 acre @ $1500.00, needs 15 bails of straw @$3.00 per bail, & 3 bags of seed
    1/2 acre @ $2000.00 needs 30 bails of straw @ 5 bags of seed
    1 acre @ $2500.00 needs 60 bails of straw and 9 bags of seed

NOW THESE MAY NEED ADJUSTING BASED ON WHAT YOU ARE BLOWING WITH AND SUCH! I TRY TO OVER ESTIMATE A LITTLE AND USE THE LEFT OVER FOR THE NEXT JOB.

If you are using a PTO driven hopper on the back on your tractor, you will be able to spread the seed nice and thick and even.

I hope that helps.

Tim

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

4-5lbs of seed per thousand square feet or 400lbs for your job.
    You should use a starter fertilizer as well. A 50lb bag should cover 10,000 sq ft.