Help find me a zero turn mower!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by The Green Gatsby, Apr 23, 2018.

1. The Green Gatsby

The Green Gatsby LawnSite Member

Hey Everyone,

I am currently in the market to buy a zero turn mower for my home but I am unsure which brand to go with. I am coming from a Toro LX460 which died this past season. I've been talking to a few people I know that cut for a living and they told me to go with ExMark. So I visited a local dealer to find out information on which would be the best fit for my situation. However, I ended up leaving with a brochure for Scag and Ferris. The dealer told me that he could order me whatever I wanted but his recommendations were the 48" Ferris 400s or the 48" Scag Liberty Z. I thought I knew what I wanted but now I am feeling unsure.

My property is a little over an acre of land. With the clay soil, it can be wet and muddy at times. Thoughts?

2. Jmcculler

Jmcculler LawnSite Member

You wouldn't regret the ferris just for the suspension. But I don't know about the 400 without the icd deck when it comes to the cut quality. My 36" stander has there normal fabricated deck and cuts great.
    Looking online it should only be around $700 difference for the 600z, fabricated deck unless you go with a 52" I think. The 600z has the better hydros and roll over bar. . Which just for a homeowner any of them would be great.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    The Green Gatsby likes this.
  3. Jmcculler

Jmcculler LawnSite Member

There are tons of Exmark fan boys around me to. Before I went with ferris I shopped around, excellent machines but my dealer and the level of service he supplies was a big factor. Own 2 ferris mowers now and couldn't be happier. Coming from your toro, any of these machines will be like night and day from what your used too.

The Green Gatsby likes this.
  4. The Green Gatsby

Ok I'm glad you told me this because I wouldnt have known about the 600z. I'm gonna visit my dealer to take a look at it. Thanks for your response.

5. The Green Gatsby

The dealer I go to is also a big deal for me. They do excellent service as well. My Toro was awful, it took me around 2 hours to cut the lawn and cost me a lot money just to keep it alive. As for exmark fanboys, my bud fits that category lol. Thank you for your response.