Help for Weed Control Program

guitarman2420

LawnSite Senior Member
I live in Central Virginia. I have really had headaches with developing a quality weed control program. I go to seminars and learn about the "latest chemicals" and try and educate myself on the best way to run a program, but I get hurt each year with complaints about weeds in the turf. Everything else we do well: mowing, manual weeding, edging, planting, etc.

We have used Barricade for crabgrass control and various broadleaf preemergents. Two of us are certified applicators - we are putting the chemicals down at the right rate. The big problem comes up in mid June or so when breakouts occur. Do most of you automatically put down a 2nd app of crabgrass control, or do you wait until you see evidence of a breakout? The problem seems to be that by the time you see the breakout, it's too late.

My understanding is that the Barricade product is effective for 16 weeks.

Also, what have you found to be the best post emergent for crabgrass and for nutsedge?

Any help would be appreciated.

cgaengineer

LawnSite Fanatic
Barricade is as effective as the rate it's applied...it's variable. Check the label...this might be part of your problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Any better results with Barricade versus Dimension?
Guitarman: I like that name. Hope that your axe is a Les Paul or Gretch; Stratocaster and Hummingbirds are great also.
Anyway, I've put out threads about pre-em so much that my head aches too when I try to help guys. It is my experience that pre-em only last for at the most 10 weeks. A lot depends on the rate. Years ago there were instruction that varied with the amount used. I think it has changed now that the EPA has found a whipping boy. I would suggest that you put down a second application two (2) months after the first and see for your self. I only use GalleryDF which is a spray; mainly because of the intolerant and root pruning of warm seasoned turf. You're probably dealing with fescue or bluegrass on which you can use Dimension or Barricade (I use Barricade in TN on my own home). In our zone the first application is Mid February-Mid March. Generally down the last week of February and the second the 1st week of May. By then the crabgrass has had its chance to germinate. If you are have the equipment put down a blanket of a non-ester based post emergent like Gordon's Trimec with MSO. Barricade is a little easier on the roots than Dimension but does not quite have the post germination power as Dimension, which will fry a seed root up to about the 2-3rd tiller. Another factor could be the amount of rainfall leaching the product or even the type of soil. Try the every two month application. Met Chet Akins, Floyd Cramer and Boots Randolph once--what musicians and great men.--can still hear that Gretch. Guess that they are playing a bigger hall now. Roy

OP
guitarman2420

guitarman2420

LawnSite Senior Member
My main guitar is A J-45, 1968 model. I like it because it has a big bass tone.

Thanks for the great information on the chemicals. I will try the every 10 week method. If I can solve the weed issue I think I can get my renewals to about 90-95%.

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
My main guitar is A J-45, 1968 model. I like it because it has a big bass tone.

Thanks for the great information on the chemicals. I will try the every 10 week method. If I can solve the weed issue I think I can get my renewals to about 90-95%.
Ah..A Gibson Jumbo Flat top. Play any Jazz?
I believe that you will see a vast improvement. Watch the grass--if it yellows just a little, you might cut the 2nd application just a little. You see, Pre-EMs poop out by air exposure, too much water, heat and to an extent some deterioration to thatch build up and fungi.
I know that Region of Va. I used to keep a boat over in Deltaville on the Bay. Place has really turned into yuppie heaven. Good Luck and if you need anything just PM me. Roy

Duekster

LawnSite Fanatic
Warmer seasons require split apps for Crab grass. Dimension does allow for a split app. The directions are confusing to say the least but you have a total amount per year allowed.

Depending on your concern, you do 1/2 of the low app rate then split the other half at the high app rate. It also depend on if you have an inital app that has never been treated vs a repeat treatment. :dizzy:

I suppose the main thing is to never apply more than the total allowed. Be careful about root burn.

Tell the clients up front that it is a program and it takes time. :cool2:

I typically hit in Late August/ early Sept, mid winter and late spring early summer and always hit after aeration which we like to do in the winter too.

tatasgirl

LawnSite Member
Guitarman,

With regard to your question about best post emergent for Nutsedge - I've found nothing to work as well as Sedgehammer. My advise would be to treat as soon as you notice - suppresses very quickly. Buy a small bottle, goes a looooooooooong way. Good luck!