1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Help getting paid? Bobby methods???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. Husky03

    Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 432

    I posted a thread a while back about a guy that I did a leaf cleanup for. He owes $150. I told him he had until DEC. 6 to pay me on his invoice. At my age I am not able to sign contracts so really getting paid is always a big risk for me. I am pretty sure this is going to turn into a battle. If this guy does turn to be a jerk and not pay me is there anything I can do since I signed no contract? Is there any legal action (or nonlegal LOL) I can take to get paid? I really have never had any serious problems so this would be my first. Bobby, any advice :p

  2. packerbacker

    packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,433

    In KS a verbal agreement is just as binding as signing one. That could be the same where you live. Call the guy and talk to him, give him another week or so and if he doesnt pay return the leaves to him :) If you have to tell him you will take payments, see if he wants to split it up.
  3. lsylvain

    lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 779

    Husky, you can sign contracts. Although you are under 18 the contract is voidable only by you.(as far as I know that is the same state to state.) Basically, you can contract all you want but the other party who is of legal age cannot hold you to the contract. You on the other hand can hold them to the contract. Basically being under 18 is like being drunk when you sing a contract, the gov says you don't have the mental ability to understand the contract so you cannot be held liable for it. Sounds pretty good to me if I was in your shoes.

    And as others have said, there is no difference between a verbal and written contract when it comes to jobs by the cut. Anything over a year or over a certain $ amount (depends on the state) requires a written contract.

    Look into your local Mechanics Lean rules. In many areas you can put a Lean on a house for landscaping, again depends on your state and local gov. Usually all it takes is a letter stating that you will be place a Lean on their house and you will get your check very very very quickly. Especially if it is only $150.00. Also check into small clames court. 150 probably isn't worth the trouble but I would check it out.

    In the state of VA to make a contract (as a business) over $1,000 you have to have a contractors license.
  4. Husky03

    Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 432

    I was thinking about payments, but I think it may be harder getting paid that way because he will be more likely to think "I gave hime something" and then not end up paying me anything past the first payment. Either way, he still has time before I will start B!tching at him. I never thought of returning the leaves to him LOL. Good idea, about an 8 foot stack in his front yard ought to do him nicely.
  5. bobbygedd

    bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ
    Messages: 10,178

    i see you're only 16 yrs old? how good of a bullsh!tter are you? tell him to pay you or you will call the police and tell them he "touched you" . $150 bucks, or 20 years, what do u think he will pick?
  6. Husky03

    Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 432

    lsylvain, that is what I though too so I asked the small business development center in my area and they told me absolutely no contracts until 18. Maybe I should talk to an attorney before next season.
  7. Ability

    Ability LawnSite Member
    Messages: 90

    That is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. Husky03

    Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 432

    Bobby: I will keep that in mind :D We will just have to see how things turn out. Thanks for the help.
  9. YardPro

    YardPro LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,570

    bobby, THAT was funny
  10. PLI1

    PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 254

    Try talking to him and getting him to pay. If this doesn't work, go to legaldocs.com and get a FREE demand for payment letter. This has worked for me, it may work for you too. Good luck. Just remember not to let your anger get the best of you! Take steps that are legally correct to get your money and then fight hard to get it. You don't want to be the one who gets in trouble in the end.

Share This Page