Lawn Care Forum banner

Help getting started.

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Evergreen321 
#1 ·
Hello
I have been reading a lot of post over the last few weeks. I'm looking at starting my own business mowing grass in fl. I'm 30yrs old and have been working at power plants all over the world since I was 20. We mostly work 12hr shift so working long days is not a problem for me. I'm not looking to do cheap work. I want to be on par with the legal companies in my area and earn work by doing the best job I can.
Is there a way to get a state wide license or do I have to get one in each county I want to do work in? Who offers good rates on insurance in fl?
I already own a gravely promaster 400 72" diesel. A 50" Dixie chopper and all stihl commercial grade trimmers, edger,back pack blower.
Most of the house in my area are 1/4 acre lots. I think my mowers are a little big for 1/4 acre lots. What would be a good size and brand walk behind to buy for using on the smaller lots?
What do you guys think of reo work? My wife works for a realtor who deals with a lot of reo work. He's looking for some one to mow 150 house every 2 weeks. Most of the house are very close to each other. 13 of the are on one street.
Thanks for the help
Posted via Mobile Device

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello
I have been reading a lot of post over the last few weeks. I'm looking at starting my own business mowing grass in fl. I'm 30yrs old I'm not looking to do cheap work. I want to be on par with the legal companies in my area and earn work by doing the best job I can.
Is there a way to get a state wide license or do I have to get one in each county I want to do work in? Who offers good rates on insurance in fl?
I already own a gravely promaster 400 72" diesel. A 50" Dixie chopper and all stihl commercial grade trimmers, edger,back pack blower.
Most of the house in my area are 1/4 acre lots. I think my mowers are a little big for 1/4 acre lots. What would be a good size and brand walk behind to buy for using on the smaller lots?
What do you guys think of reo work? My wife works for a realtor who deals with a lot of reo work. He's looking for some one to mow 150 house every 2 weeks. Most of the house are very close to each other. 13 of the are on one street.
Thanks for the help
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't of any state that has a state license. Licenses are local by town, city, county. And some states that don't require a license. First thing to do is check with town hall and your county gov.

The only mower that is to big is one that you can't fit on a property. A 22" self propelled would be good and a 34" for places that only have 3' gates or narrow passage along side the house going from the front yard to the back yard.

As to insurance call and get quotes. I don't know what's good down there.

#4 ·
not sure where Inglis,fl is but if its anything like the Orlando area, gonna have a rough time competing with all them fly by nighters.. this is my 1st year in Palm bay and its going better for me out here in a small city, did it 7yrs in Orlando and the last 3-4yrs there were hell!!! with all this unemployment and everyone cutting lawns for next to nothing!! Goodluck buddy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.