1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help ID this tree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimLewis, Apr 1, 2006.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

This is a picture I took last summer of what looks to be some kind of Japanese Maple. It's on a property owned by an HOA. And they'd like another matching one installed on the other corner. I searched local nurseries last year and never could find one that was quite similar enough. I am sure it's Acer palmatum. But what variety? I figured maybe it's something more common in other states. Anyone know???

:confused:

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Soorry not to bite..missed it yesterday!

4. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Is it really purple or is it the lighting? I think it's a bloodgood maple. Do a search for bloodgood maple or Monrovia has a good picture of one on their site.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

It's an April fools joke man..there are no Acer palmatums that are purple!

6. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

No, but bloodgoods are a Japanese maple in the acer palmatum family. They have red leaves, almost a deep purple with a growth habit like the one in Jims picture. The light is hitting the top of the leaves as the picture is being taken and w/ a digital camera, the true color of the leaf my not be accurately presented in the picture.