Help identify this plant

andyslawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
This picture was taken June 17th. It is deciduous, and has no leaves now. I'm particularly concerned about species so I can do any necessary pruning to it properly before it starts growth again.

Mounded form about 3' tall, maybe 3-4' wide. It started to weep down at one point during the early summer when blooming was finishing. I dead headed it in hopes of getting some more blooms, and did not receive many more.

Thanks for any help.

PIC_3422.JPG

PIC_3423.JPG

OP
A

andyslawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
Looks like a Leucanthemum daisy of some sort. They should be cut back at the end of winter before spring.
Not leucanthemum sp... this is woody. Basal wood is about 1/2'' diamater

idealscape

LawnSite Member
Made the mistake of planting some of these at our house in town...cant remember the name now. BUT THEY WONT GO AWAY! If they were at the farm I would have handled the issue, but we just kind of shape them up at our other house and deal with them.

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
Montauk Daisy?

If so the stems look like hydrangea stems. Around here we cut them 1/2 way back well before bloom (maybe in June) so they look less scraggly, and to prevent them from toppling over. They bloom at the end of the season here, I think in September. Most people split them every couple of years just to keep the size reasonable.

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
One of my customers has something very similar to these. It took over the entire flower bed. All I did was dig out most of it and leave some for appearance. He told me it won't go away. They dug it up a few years back and thought they got it all. Not the case.

PerfectEarth

LawnSite Bronze Member
Montauk Daisy?

If so the stems look like hydrangea stems. Around here we cut them 1/2 way back well before bloom (maybe in June) so they look less scraggly, and to prevent them from toppling over. They bloom at the end of the season here, I think in September. Most people split them every couple of years just to keep the size reasonable.
Correct......

ralph02813

LawnSite Bronze Member
Montauk Daisy?

It is, and that is what I do!

OP
A

andyslawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks everyone. It doesn't seem that this plant has tried to spread at all though. I've managed this property since April last year, and have't had any trouble with volunteers growing.